Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chain the original Anti-theft device.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DuneRunner, Oct 22, 2001.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Where is it that the majority of you have or have seen a chain attached under the hood so that would be thieves have a harder time at the engine compartment? (where and how to mount?) Reason being with the hard top off and easy access to the Hood release, I'm concerned because of all the new accessories under the hood. It has not been a problem yet but it is better to beat them to the punch.

Thanks KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Dangit, it's not a bronco...[​IMG] I used to have a bronco and it had what I believed to be an aftermarket hood release that locked with a key, it was a pretty cool feature, maybe someone knows where you can get these.....

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Why not just get hood locks? Or is that what you are talking about?

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I know Burt4x4 has a chain on his but I dont know what its hooked to.That does sound like a good idea.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Fumes..my buddy has a 79 Ford Supercab. It has a locking hood release too. Maybe it was an option?

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. DuneRunner

Don't quite understand Hood Locks?
    I was just thinking of a 2 or 3 foot chain with a nice and thick Masterlock. Thanks for all of the responses. I'll PM Burt 4x4 when I get a chance.

Thanks guys keep them commin.

KEN

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I wouldn't mind adapting, a locking f@rd hood release if I could find one...Especially since I have isuzu seats, volkswagon fender cut and used for my new fender and a peterbuilt airduct for my heater. [​IMG], hey its what I do best, turn sh!t into icecream[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

8. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you can bolt up the chain to the hood latch mechanism. then just run the chain down to lock it. in the newer hoods i don't think there is enough room to run the chain inbetween the inner and outer shell of the hood. the first gen hoods you could almost run your hand in between.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup I gots me one of dem der chain deally bobbers!!
    What I did was bolted the chain to the hood right next to the latch. So when its closed the bolt is traped between the hood and latch plate. The chain is now hanging down and I simply wrap it around the front crossmember and lock it with the padlock.
    I use a big bicycle chain that had plastic sleave over it but really any chain will work. Ya someone realy wanted in they can just cut the chain but hey thats one more steep they have to take so along with all of my other many liitle deterants I may have saved my rig from the many TWEAKERS in this world!!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

10. DuneRunner

Hey I'll look at my 83 when I get home. I forgot about using bike chain THICK and some times RUBBER coted [​IMG] I hope to do something soon. But in about a week the top will be back on. Its starting to get cold now.
    I'm about to paint it TAN. Anyway thaks for the info.

Late KEN

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about going to hood locks. They are kinda like the hood saftey pins that the hot rod guys use only insted of sticking a pin through it has a cylinder lock. I think Summit sells them.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

12. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

seems to me if you put a visible lock its just screaming! "Theives I have something good under here that I dont want you to have." More likely to attract the people looking for the good stuff and not sure where to start

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Check J.C.Whitney for anti theft hood locks. what it is is a handle like a hood release but has a key lock. under the hood you put a bracket that acts like a dead bolt. Once the hood is closed you just push it in it locks the hood down. The portion under the dash is armored to prevent tampering. The rest is not accessible when the hood is shut. Pretty common in rough parts of town.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

14. DuneRunner

I'll look in my current JC W. Tonight.

Well I popped the hood this morning and there is no room for the chain to drop down. I'm on a mission now to find something that will work and I will let you all know what I used when I'm done.

Later KEN

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status