Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chalet Gurus....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MICHIGAN BLAZER, Apr 8, 2000.

1. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Found a '76 chalet tonight. Hubby fell in love with it. I've been to AZBLAZERS web site and brushed up on some info, but i've got a couple more questions. The one i found is an automatic w/full time 4x4, 350. It was 12:00a.m. so it was dark, cold, wet, and snowing when i peeked at it....so my peek wasn't real long. Anyway, question is......does the camper bolt on just like a topper, can they be interchanged, and a tailgate will bolt right in....right?? Oh yeah, asking price on the window is $4500 and for a michigan truck it's in pretty darn good shape......slight bubbling on front rear fender bottoms. Also, what kind of tranny is in it? any other neat junk to look for when i go look at it again? as usual thanx a bunch.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, Doug's off at work, so I get tagged as "it" ;-)

Tranny is a TH350, last I checked; the Blazer is basically a stock, 400/TH350/NP203 drivetrain. (You say 350, I could believe that too. Look in the glovebox at the option code sticker.)

The camper CAN be removed, but it's tough to do without destroying the fiberglass. Email me offline (chalet@slosh.com) for more info.

A tailgate would go on; you'd also need a rear seat and hardtop. Note that the floor holes are 76-77 style for the old, non-folding rear seat, so you'll need a pre-'78 rear seat (was '78 the folding year? Whenever that was...)

I get the feeling you're considering removing the camper, putting it on your Blazer, and selling the Blazer underneath. A viable option... but also remember to grab the alternator off the Chalet, they're usually bigger, and be prepared for a clusterfuck of wires. Chinook made these, and it seems like they made them kind of haphazardly.

(I say all this because I've been tearing my shell down to the fiberglass as part of its renovation and eventual installation onto a newer truck ;-)

Chalets are, btw, very cool; "My Pappa was a Chevy and my Momma was a Volkswagen" ;-)

Check to see if it has the bunks up top; the owners may or may not know about them. About shoulder level when the top is up, there may be snap-on covers on the sides; under these will be pull-out rails with like burlap cots between them, that fold out and become sleeping for two more.

Aw heck, see my pix on this page, right hand page, upper-left corner.

Hope this helps; if you do buy it, please register yourself with the page and email us frequently so we don't feel like we're obsessed for nothing ;-)

-- A

'74 K5 Blazer "Tank Grrl"
    '77 Chalet sans Blazer
    and more to come...

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

And looking again at the aforementioned picture, it is in fact upside down. Dorks.

Anyway, flip your monitor over when you're looking at it, and you'll see what I mean about the bunks.

-- A

'74 K5 Blazer "Tank Grrl"
    '77 Chalet sans Blazer
    and more to come...

4. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Hey thanx for the info, unfortunately things didn't work out like i'd hoped. Hubby was planning on taking camper off and putting on a regular hard top & gate....save camper for when we go camping. I stopped and looked at it yesterday afternoon.....there's been some major reconstruction done on the body. To stand there and look at it you can't tell....looks like a straight 76. If you started poking around with your hands and head I found a lot of things that were just down right bad.....oh well. thanx anyway.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout