Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Champion Brand Winch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Jul 20, 2005.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I came across a 7500 lb, 95' lead Champion brancd Winch today at Sam's. Comes with a shackle. Priced at $298. Anybody have any REAL WORLD knowledge? Not looking for Go Warn or Go Home type comments. I can't afford a Warn now & thought this might be a good interim winch. Later I could convert it to a trailer winch.

2. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They used to be a pretty big name in winches and a lot of other stuff.

I don't know if this winch is a cheap knock-off. The winch market has been flooded with fly-by-night winch manufacturers and cheap knock-offs.

One of my friends bought one to put on his trailer to drag his sandrail in. He's happy with it. I was impressed with the manual that came with it. That's about all I know.

http://www.island4x4.com/4x4tech/feature/champion_winch/

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

That winch is made in China by the same plant the makes Mile Marker, Chicago Electric, T-Max... Ect.

There are only two winch companies that still make their winches in the US... Ramsey and Warn.

Here's a link to the Chinese Manufacturer site and a bunch of winches they make.

http://www.chinaamicus.com/Electric Winch(02).htm

And here's a link the the winch that has the brand name "Champion".

http://www.chinaamicus.com/AMC-KEW8000.htm

It comes down to - you get what you pay for.

And I wouldn't consider using it on a trailer pulling a lightweight sandrail as "real life" experience. It likely didn't take 500 lbs of pull to get the sandrail on the trailer.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Mark, I've been looking for a cheap winch too. I'm kinda like DP_90K5, I'm afraid of the "You get what you pay for." Nick and I were talking about it, he pointed out that it would suck if the whole casing cracked apart in the middle of a critical pull. But then again I wouldn't probably be using it in a life or death situation. Then I think still if it did break it would be $300 down the tube.

You know there was a Warn 8274 on CO4x4 for $450 as of the end of last week. From what I've read here they work really well on our trucks.

5. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

This biggest thing with a winch IMO, is that it works when you need it too. Yeah, everyone talks line speed, pull rating, ect. Buy it if you think it will work for ya, heck not many of us use a winch several times a day everyday! IMO, these Chinesse jobs should work good for us recreationalists. Good luck

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That's some pretty good info.

The guy with the sandrail used to have one of those Warn light duty utility winches (3,000 lb maybe?) and it'd stall all the time. We're talking about a custom deckover trailer with a beaver tail and only partial ramps and 33" paddle tires. It's a custom trailer. Underneath the sandrail sits a jetski to give you an idea of how tall the trailer is. But, it's not a tried and true use of the winch.

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input huys. You too Scott :D I'm gonna think on it for a few weeks. I need to install my axles first, which should be within the next week or so. Then I'll decide what I'm gonna do. I just thought it's make more since to mount a winch in my winch bumber before I put it on :doah:

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Or you can be like a certain member (cough*B_to_C*cough) and have a nice brand new 9500HS Warn you picked up for $500 in your closet for 2 years. (I never miss an opportunity to harrass him about that :haha: )

9. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Thinking about getting a $300 8000# champion...anyone got experience yet?

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Go Warn or go home.

I rely on my winch, and so do the people that wheel with me. I have only used my winch for my vehicle 2 times. I have used it for other people as many as 8 times in a day. I must have it, it must be dependable. It gets submerged, it gets beat on, it pulls trees, it pulls rock, it flips people over, and even if I only used it once or twice a year, I must be able to depend on it. I will pay twice the price for peace of mind on the trail.

11. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

several guysrun them here and have had good luck with them.