Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Change 4" blocks for springs

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by will89, Dec 18, 2002.

1. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

Change 4\" blocks for springs

My current rear leafs sit atop 4" blocks. the springs have lost most of their arc (previous owner overloaded them) and give a pretty hard ride. I'd like to get rid of the blocks and replace the springs as the axle moves around a bit when I release the brake. My problem is I don't know what size spings to get so it doesn't sag or ride to high???? How do you estimate or should I aim a bit low and plan on adding just a small block.

The other issue is estimating load capacity so it doesn't sag when I have it loaded up with the weekend getaway gear.

Are there particular spring brands that are good for 89 Subs? I know some ride hard, some soft etc...

Will in San Diego

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Change 4\" blocks for springs

First of all...I'm assuming the front is lifted 4", right??? If that's the case...just lose the blocks and put in 4" lift springs. It will be much better than the blocks. I agree with you about shooting low instead of going over the height...it's easy to add an add-a-leaf or ord's 1" zero-rate, if need be. Also, about load carrying ability....you're sub's rear springs are 56" long, not 52". So, when you get new springs, you can get some that are built for 3/4 ton trucks, since 3/4 ton trucks came with 56" rear springs.
    Brands...Rough Country makes a decent rear spring...they're stiff, but will hold up to lots of abuse. Those springs will also get you probably a little more than 4" of lift. I have the 4" rough country springs front and back....I always have lots of crap in the back of my truck...probably adding up close to 200 pounds...and the rear sits level with the front.
    If you don't go with rough country, I'd say go with skyjacker or tuff-country. Tuff-country ez-rides have the lowest spring rate...but remember spring rates are calculated for front springs...so I'm not sure about the rears.
    Hope that helps you out...if you've got more questions, just ask.

3. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

Yes, its lifted in front as well. Its a 1/2 ton with 33's- I shoulda been specific.... As I said, the current rear springs are near flat but they have a 4" block. If I replace them with new 4" springs wouldn't it be lower? Maybe Im not measuring from the right spot???

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

No, if you put 4" lift springs in the rear...that means it will lift the vehicle 4" over stock height. So, if the front is lifted 4"...the front and rear will match height-wise.
    What exactly are you measuring?? Maybe I can solve your confusion.

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

If you get a lift spring you can't get an Add A Leaf. Can you? Wouldn't it have to be made custom for your lift springs? I agree with adding a block to make up for a saggy a$$. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

OOPS...nice catch. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Didn't even think about that.
    Yup...you'd have to go with the ord 1" zero-rate, or a standard lift-block. Thanks for keeping me honest, chvyhs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My springs were pretty flat before. but I put on a rough country AAL and 4" block, and sits level with the 4" front springs. And as far as loading, I have a D60, 14ff, rims, tools, jack and jackstands in the back and has only dropped about 2or 3 inches still driveable but bouncy with no shocks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

I thouhgt that you draw a line from the two connecting points of the spings adn measure to the furthest point out on the arc. But now I understand what you were saying. stock plus 4"...got it.

9. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

One thing to remember is that you have already worn the front springs. So the new rears will sit higher untill they break in. Super lift makes an awsome soft ride spring for this application. since the springs are 56 inch long they are actually off of 1 ton pickups. So you get great load capacity and a smooth ride. I have these and my rear flexes even better then the factory stuff. And when I haul loads I don't even sag but less then an inch. just my two cents. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

Has anyone used the BDS Glide Ride springs? I've been thinking of going with the 6 or 8" springs on my 89 Sub.