Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

change from 2.73- to 3.73 gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MITCH_89', Feb 18, 2003.

1. MITCH_89'

MITCH_89' Registered Member

Ive had about enough of the factory 2.73 in my 89' blazer with a 700/350/33s. Ive been hunting for replacement axles, and I found a set of 10-bolts from an 86 blazer with 3.73s for 300 bucks. The question: Will I notice enough difference to make the swap? I have to make a decision quick-like. Everything is in good shape on the axles, and tight

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you would notice a huge difference /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. MITCH_89'

I wanted to hear that...Were the gov locks popular in 86?

4. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

oh yea, big diff. I did the exact same gear swap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Gov-locks are/were popular in all the 10 bolts. If the donor truck has "G80" as one of the RPO (option) codes in the glove box or inner fenderwell, more than likely it's a gov-lock.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

gov lok as most ppl well know is not a good thing to have, if the rear really has gov lok unit in it then id go for an eaton or powertrax unit, or similar /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif you will notice big difference going to 3.73, better acceleration by far, but higher cruising rpm's that can be lowered a lil with taller tires, 3.73 is my all time favorite all around use ratio, i love them /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif and i miss them, but i recently found a truck im gonna be getting thats 1 ton, so 4.10 probably /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

have fun ! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. MITCH_89'

Thanks for everyone's input. I feel good about the decision now. Its always good to hear positive things /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. MITCH_89'

Well, I brought the axles home last night. Turns out, the rear is a 12-bolt. The guy said they came out of an 86 Blazer and they were the original axles, but looking at the spec sheet on Colorados front page, 12-bolts were in 81...no biggie, they both have 3.73, and seem to be ok. Should I do anything to the axles, besides change oil, before I install them. Is it a good idea to go ahead and pull the axles shafts out and do new seals, berrings? I am going to reuse my front calipers and roters, so I will put new berrings in at that time. The front also came with warn lockouts, so goodbye to the autos. Thanks for inputs

9. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I would go ahead and atleast put new seals in them. If you are going from a 10 bolt to a 12 you will either need to get a conversion ujoint or change the yoke.