Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

change housing or change mounts? 14Bff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Mar 15, 2003.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I've got a 3/4T 14B FF with the right gears and all, I have a guy here in town that has a 1 Ton and offered to let me swap out the housing, (both are just axles and out of trucks) should I mess with this or just move the mounts on mine? I can do either just a matter of work.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What are you putting it into? The 3/4-ton will bolt right into a 2nd Gen K5. It's the 1-ton version that needs the spring perches and shock mounts moved around.

In either case, if the gear ratios are different, then it's WAY easier to move the mounts than to set up the right gears in a different case. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I had the same delima , I ended up swapping out every part out of a K-30 SRW housing and putting it all into the 3/4 C-20 housing. I liked the thought of clean looking tubes and not grinding the perches so I just swapped parts.
    I think it all depends on your resources - if Ya' got access to some fine cutting and welding equipment than keep your housing - if not , than swapping might be the better way to go ???
    Good luck , Tom