Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Change my Cat

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Oct 20, 2000.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I have to repalce my cat and wanted to know if it is that hard to get it off. I have a 1991 K5 and i have to shop manual. The questions i have is can i just remove the brackets that hold the pipes up to get to the bolts on the claps. Both the clamps on the cat both sides of the cat are where the bolts are on the top sides. I thought that i could just remove that two brackets that hold the pipes up, let the pipes drop then i will have the space to get to the tops of the bolts. Does any one think that i will have to remove the bolts that hold the pipes to the manifold? from the book, it looks like there is some kind if insert that is between the pipes and the manifold outlets, does that sound right? does any on think that the cat will have to be cut off? or will it just slide off? I thought that due to all the heat on the pipes and the cat that the cat might not want to come off the pipes. if any one has ever done this let me know how your job went, or if i should just take it to a shop and have them do the work.
    Thanks

brettmcox.colradok5.com

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Oh, I thought you wanted to trade your cat for a dog. ha!

Cruisin in my '73.

3. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

no time for pets when you have toys!!!

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

On my 89 is was easiest to undo the hangers behind the cat. Let the exhaust drop down, but make sure you support it. I used a jack stand. If the cat won't come off cut groves on the flange of the cat on both sides front and back. then pry down on the flanges with a screwdriver. Should come right out. Do not have to do anything with the head pipe. Once the cat is loose move the exhaust to the rear of the truck. Good luck.

6. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

I AM ACTUALLY DOING THE SAME EXACT THING RIGHT NOW. I HAD TO CUT THE U-BOLTS OFF BECAUSE THE NUTS WERE ON THERE SO TIGHT. NOW THAT THEY'RE OFF I CANT GET THE CAT LOOSE ON EITHER SIDE. I LET SOME WD-40 SOAK IN THERE, I TRIED TO GET IT LOOSE BY HITTING IT WITH AN IRON PIPE AND NOTHING HAS WORKED. IM PROBLABLY GOING TO END UP GOING TO AN EXHAUST SHOP TO GET IT DONE. ANYWAYS, GOOD LUCK!