Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Change of plans #48,492 - selling flatbed

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by kennyw, Oct 1, 2003.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Put the pickup bed back on my truck last night. Cut a small hole to set it over the gooseneck ball so I still have full use of that. I may just sell the flatbed I pulled off too. I want to build a new one a little wider than what I had then graft the lower 1/2 of the pickup bed to it. Then make removeable side rails out of the top half of the pickup bed...

The flatbed will be up for sale for $100 with new mounting hardware, lights and mudflaps already on it. Set up to bolt onto most 73-87 pickups.

Pics in Imagestation
    [​IMG]

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

damn, that thing would be nice behind my s-10 cab. To bad I dont have a place for either of em right now. Just out of curiousity, would this thing work on a K5 frame? I suppose if it wouldnt bolt on it could always be custom mounted somehow...

j

3. kennyw

It is a full 8 ft long bed. By the time you did the work to shorten it behind the S10 cab to put on a blazer frame you could have built a nicer flatbed from scratch. I think you are only going to need about a 4-4.5' long bed behind your S10 cab.

4. jekbrown

prolly right. Im going to mount the cab as far forward as I possibly can... even gonna prolly end up doing some firewall mods to make room for the dist etc... so there should be more room behind it than a standard fullsize cab truck would have... but the blazer frame is shorter than a truck frame right? even shorter than a shortbox?

j

5. kennyw

Yep, much shorter... I have seen fullsize truck cabs mounted on the blazer frame with about a 4' box behind them (shortened stepside). Where the normal shortbed is a little over 6' and a longbed is about 8'.

Also check out the flatbed plans I have up too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jekbrown

thats what I figured. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Im sure someone out there will want it, flatbeds rule! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Purdy nifty lil plans you have there. Once I get the s-10 cab and am ready to 4-link/bob/tube then I'll really be ready to design a lil mini flat bed for my rig. Only prob is having enough space... i mean if you chop the frame so you have 90 degree departure angles, that doesnt leave a whole lot of room left on a rig as short as a K5. Especially since I want a pretty big fuel tank, plenty of lockable storage, a place to put my battery, maybe a relocated radiator, and a spare has to go somewhere. lol! Im so gonna need a roof rack too. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

j

7. kennyw

I had enough room under my flatbed for a 40 gallon burb gas tank. If I set the tank up flush with the bottom of the frame it would tuck under my flatbed still. You get the height of the frame plus a 6" spacer between the bed and frame to fill up with the tank /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Looks like I have this bed sold now too...