Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Change of plans

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Jun 1, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Its kind of hard to look at these forums for any time at all and not want a Dana 60 and a 14 bolt. And until recently that was an upgrade that I had planned on. I was going to wait a couple years and then do it. But when I really got to thinking about it, I already did the gear swap and beefed up my Dana 44 and 12 bolt. And I already spent alot of $$$ on 6 lug wheels and 15 inch tires. The final thing was the fact that I don't see much rock climbing here in Kansas, so axle breakage isn't as common.
    So what you ask am I going to do with all that money I planned for the 1-ton swap??? College? Investing? A house? HECK NO! I decided I'm going to do something to my truck that I can't appreciate everytime I start it and not just when I hit a hard trail. I'm going to pick up a 454 and slowly build it up over the next year or two and then drop it in. What do y'all think?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That sounds excellent! Then next year you will have the 1 ton axles back on the 'to-do' list. LOL
    You smog exempt guys (74 and b4) are lucky!
    Dave

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yea man. After the 454 scatters my 12 bolt all over the street maybe I will have to do the 1-ton thing. lol

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like you are thinking logically. Your drivelines up to the task?

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Surprisingly enough I shouldn't have much trouble with it. The SM465 and NP205 are going to be more than strong enough. The 12 bolt has US Gear ring and pinion gears, Moser axles, modified Eaton limited slip, ARP main bearing stud kit, T/A Performance diff cover with the feet that stick through the cover to place a preload on the main bearing caps to prevent things from flexing back under hard acceleration. I see alot of 454 Chevelle's survive with stock 12 bolts, so I should be OK for a while. And I'm only running 33's which aren't too huge.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

if I was in your shoes I'd stick with your setup. if you start breaking axles and need the extra strenght...

I got a 14B FF rear and a D44 front thats going in tomorrow. I'm gonna beef up the D44 and leave it until I use it hard enough I need a D60...

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

7. Cliffy

Cliffy Registered Member

I agree with solowookie if you think the Front dana 60 is out if your budget, but still end up needing a 14 bolt, go with the 3/4 ton D44 front. It's plenty stout if you don't see much Rockcrawling, and you still get the added benefit of not spewing axle parts at passing cars. :)

Coil sprung 71 blazer.

8. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

I built a 454 for my '79 burby with the same axles that you have. It has an auto and 203 though. This thing was my primary trail beater for about 3 yrs. Living in Michigan, it never saw rocks but it saw a lot of abuse, (primarily pulling out others) you gotta love that BB torque. I had 35's on it and I never had to pull the pumpkin cover.

9. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Thats good to hear man. As long as I don't decide to put an 8-71 blower on the top of it, the 12 bolt should last. I don't really plan on going any bigger than 33's anyway.
    I keep hearing these guys talk, the ones that did the BB swap and they all say they wish they would have done it sooner. And they're all very happy. So I figure screw gas prices; I need to get off my duff and start building a BBC. [​IMG]

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

10. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I was debating this a while back too 73... and I ended up choosing the same axles as you... beefed up 12B and D44 front. I did it cause I think the D44 will break before the 12B will and there is no way in heck I could afford a D60 anyhow... so either way I have a D44 up front. The 12B lets me keep the wheels and run 15" tires which is less expensive, plus less weight to push around for better power w/ my motor and a bit more mpg.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

11. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Ahhhh yes, I like the way you think! I myself might be dropping a 454 into my Blazer. I'm going to wait till I blow my 350, but, for some reason........it's going to be a while. The reason for that is, the engine isn't the stock one. Anyway, the bigger axles are a great idea and you're right about the "not much rock crawling." See ya!

p.s. I'm drop'n my axles in next week.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos