Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Change oil and filter, or just change filter? What about bypass filters?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

So with all this poop about not needing to change your oil at 3k, and newer synthetics-

Whats all your thoughts on simply changing the filter every 3k, and oil every 6k?

My Rotella T synthetic looks and feels just about the same as the day I poured it in. (Except dark!).

What do you all think about the Toilet paper bypass filters? THey claim sub 1 micron filtration.Anyone use one of these? www.gulfcostfilters.com

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Re: Change oil and filter, or just change filter? What about bypass filters

ahh, thanks.

But the question is, has anyone tried this toilet paper filter?

4. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

just buy regular rotella, or Delo, or whatever and just change it ever 3000 ( i do it at 2000-2500) I mean why not?? some people might know this saying "Oil and grease is cheap....Parts AINT!" I pay I think under 20 bucks for 2 gals of oil and a filter thats cheap insurence IMHO.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

YEah, I know. But my point is, why change it if it doesnt need to be changed?

How can EVERY vehicle ever made need an oil change at exactly 3k? It just doesnt make sense.

Acura integras need them at 5k, Cummins is recommended for 7500k, and the new ones are like 15000-

Ok, our trucks run a little dirtier- But is the oil acutally being worn out?

I guess an oil analysis is the only way to tell- but the sucky part is, an oil analysis costs as much as an oil change.

In my mind if the oil hasnt worn out, and there's no overload of acids in the oil, then why nto just change the filter which is now clogged?

6. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Got a price on that thing?

Seems logical IMO.

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

link to more info

The bottom of the first page has where you can send in your oil for testing.

If I can fit the two quart oil filters, I dont see a real reason for me to change oil any sooner than 6k.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So with all this poop about not needing to change your oil at 3k, and newer synthetics-

Whats all your thoughts on simply changing the filter every 3k, and oil every 6k?

My Rotella T synthetic looks and feels just about the same as the day I poured it in. (Except dark!).

What do you all think about the Toilet paper bypass filters? THey claim sub 1 micron filtration.Anyone use one of these? www.gulfcostfilters.com

[/ QUOTE ]

EXCEPT DARK

That there is the reason we change the oil, soot is your enemy, if you could control your soot, keep it in suspension and have your oil still do it's job then yeah why change it.
    My engine takes 22 QT's so I don't change it at 3000 but at 10k, and it comes out a little dark, I may be able to driv emore on it but I think 10k is good interval so I don;t go through the hastle of changing the OIL.
    I have no problem with the cost, it's just the hasle.
    I also have dual 2QT filters.
    I can't remember them now but I have seen some additives for oil that help with soot control, if you find those it will extend your mileage intervals.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Oddly so, my oil turns dark within 100 miles- But it doesnt really get any darker after that- It just kinda stays that way. I was doing dip tests- Checking to see the oil against a off white sheet of paper to see if I notice anything that is not being filtered. This used to work well for me as an indicator on my other cars, since sometimes they are worked harder than usual and need a oil change sooner.

You think this is a reasonable practice to continue?

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oddly so, my oil turns dark within 100 miles- But it doesnt really get any darker after that- It just kinda stays that way. I was doing dip tests- Checking to see the oil against a off white sheet of paper to see if I notice anything that is not being filtered. This used to work well for me as an indicator on my other cars, since sometimes they are worked harder than usual and need a oil change sooner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure it is a good thing to test it on white paper but to know how much is too much you might have to do some testing, and then once you have a reference you can work from you can rely on the paper test.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Personnaly i have no time to think about these things so I'd rather spend the money to change the oil and filters and not worry about wasting the oil, I use it for something else anyway.

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure it is a good thing to test it on white paper but to know how much is too much you might have to do some testing, and then once you have a reference you can work from you can rely on the paper test.
    Personnaly i have no time to think about these things so I'd rather spend the money to change the oil and filters and not worry about wasting the oil, I use it for something else anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

something else? ?! What else do you use it for?!

12. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

personnel lubricants ?

Used motor oil is sometime used as diesel fuel.

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

something else? ?! What else do you use it for?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well a few uses:

Mixed with saw dust it's a great fire log.
    Use it for staining my wooden fence.

But seriously, I don;t even remember typing that like that.
    I don't know what I was thinking about or if it was missing some words that would make it sound different.
    /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Oh man, its those things that get you in trouble. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif