Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Change Your Fuel Filter!

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by sled_dog, Mar 11, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I just went about changing my fuel filter on my 97 for the first time in about, I'd say like 30k miles. Now I noted in the fuel pump thread that I am heavily known to run my tank down till the truck is spitting and sputtering.

When I removed the old filter I noticed it was clunking inside :confused:. So I took my trusty air saw and cut it open slowly. When it was in 2 pieces, the filter element simply fell out of it. The foam crap that had been adhered to one side of the filter had broken down and it just fell apart. So that means that crap went through my fuel system :mad:. Not to mention that this also means that for god knows how long, I've had NO fuel filter. And to top it off, when I removed the filter, black crap just poured out of it. It was nasty. So I threw on the new AC Delco Filter, wrote the mileage on it, and poured in a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner in the tank.

My intermittent rich condition suddenly makes sense. Crap was in my injectors and making them stick :doah:

So in the end, Change your damn filter, and use AC Delco, not aftermarket junk. The filter element on the aftermarket filter was even crushed. Looked like it clogged and couldn't take the pressure so it crushed and broke off.

2. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Good advice!

I should probably step up and purchase the AC filters. I just looked on PartsAmerica and they list two different AC filters for my 95 yukon. One for $22 and one for $12. I'll have to go back and see what the difference is. Not that much more than the Purolators I usually put on. (PS> The Autozone ones are junk)

Either way, I try to change mine about every 10 to 15k miles (recommended at 10k) and I still get black sludge out when I do it that often....

3. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Its actually reccomened you change every 6k miles, I do mine every 3rd oil change usually, or 6 months. Typically 3-4 times a year/

4. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well crap! I always thought it was 10k miles.
    I do the oil every 3k, so I can just get in the habit of changing the filter every 2 changes instead of every 3.

Heck, I'm already rotating the tires every other oil change anyway. :D

5. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I roate my tires every 6-7k usually, sometimes wait til 10k, I just got my truck, ive only put 400 miles on it so far, its my weekend warrior, so I do things in months typically, like every 3 months for an oil change, etc.

6. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Yah, its only been 40k on mine.....maybe its time. Ill put that on the list with lubing teh chasis this weekend maybe? Gotta get it done.

7. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

wow, so i suck at doing this. My line fittings are all screwed up so i had to use vice grips, whats the easy way to plug the lines while you are working on them to avoid spilling gas? I got it finished, but spilled more than i wanted to.

8. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I havent actually changed my fuel filter in my k5 yet, I was refferign to my DD, where is the filter on the k5?

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

79? in the carb. Between the fuel feed line and the carb.

10. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

sometimes it helps to remove the fuel cap, so the pressure in the tank doesn't force the gas out.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if the Evap system is operating properly, there should be only negative pressure in the tank. or atmospeheric if the truck has been sitting a while. Shouldn't be positive pressure in the tank.

12. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

maybe, but in arizona when it is 100*, when you pull the gas cap, there is pressure in the tank.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the hiss you hear is negative pressure. Its the air rushing, IN to the tank to fill the vacuum. Happens everywhere.