Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changed plugs cap-rotor and wires .truck wont start HELP..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1BAD88, Jun 3, 2002.

1. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

I JUST PULLED THE DISTRIBUTER OUT TO CHANGE THE GASKET AND I PUT NEW WIRES PLUGS CAP AND ROTOR NOW MY TRUCK WONT START HELP PLEASE.......

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

need more info.

Whats does it do?
    what doesn't it to?
    does it have spark?
    does it back fire?
    what was it doing before the work?

3. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

TRUCK JUST CRANKS OVER AND DOESNT START i PUT NEW PARTS IN IT AND BROUGHT THE DISTRIBUTER BACK AS CLOSE AS i COULD GET IT WHAT CAN IT BE ???

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

rotate the engine so the timing mark lines up with the tab. at that time pull the cap and see where the rotor is pointing to, this should be number 1 iof not it will be 180 degrees off and pointing at number 6, if it points to either of those currently then you are close, you won't know if you are 180 off till you try a timing light. If you have a timing light or access to one, you may want to hook that up.

I'm doing the same thing on my Jimmy now and it is no fun chasing wires /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
    Are all the connections on the dist. on? like the power wire and harness plugs.

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Got the firing order right? It should be:

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2...

The cap should be in the correct place, as its keyed. It shouldn't be wring, unless you pulled the distributor. Other key things to look at are: plug gap .045 if using stock coil, or .060 if you have an aftermarket (high power) coil. Other than that... maybe check resisitance on the wires??? That's kinda pulling at straws though... just a good guess...

Good luck! And send us some more info...! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Dan

6. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

FWIW, check for any loose or busted wires. Last time I did the whole cap, rotor, ignition module, etc., I ended up busting one of the pick-up coil wires and it took me a while to realize what was wrong.

7. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

I checked everything out and found that I did'nt clip the wire on the back of the distibuter on all the way I poped it on and she fired right up I guess thats what happens when you have 6 beers on a hot day but thanks for the info ........

8. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ha I bet what you did was ( did it too..) was when the wires went back on you need to move the wires one spot to the counter clockwise position...
    I set mine to the book and the owner before me had the dist set for the later years and not the way the book said....
    Try it and I bet it starts....

Dam I didn't read the end of the post sorry...mike

9. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

Oh those beers are good today.....he he it's just one of those days when all else fails crack open another.................

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Only six ?
    Jim