Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changed the Oil in Rear-End

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jackson 88K5, Nov 3, 2000.

1. Jackson 88K5

Jackson 88K5 1/2 ton status

I had a leaking pinion seal and right side wheel seal on my 88 K5 10 bolt. Just fininshed changing pinion seal and both wheel seals about 2 hours ago (I had my 8 and 6 year old boys out there learning some shop stuff). While changing the fluid, wow,it didn't look all that good it had a brown rusty look. Any-way cleaned it up and noticed I have 2:73 gears, Yuk! I need to start thinking about replacing them or maybe go with a Dana? I don't know. I want to Lift it and put bigger tires on it. Well, I'll have to wait for some cash-o-la or strike it rich. Have a great weekend all.

2. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

I got back from a camping trip a few months ago, while I had the Jimmy in the driveway my Dad noticed a spot under my rear-end. Funny thing is, it didn't look like oil...looked like chocolate milkshake. Lemme tell ya, changed that thing reeeeal fast, and to top it all off, there was a little piece o' gear in there too. Stopped the leak, and no trouble yet, but time will tell. Don't know how the water got in my diff, but I keep an eye on it now.

Call my rig an SUV... And I'll tear your lungs out.