Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

changed to correct t-stat, now pinging at WOT

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jshadwick, Mar 9, 2003.

1. jshadwick

jshadwick Registered Member

Hi everyone, thanks for the great advice. Here goes:
    I bought an 87 k5 about 3 months ago, and noticed that it never heated up (the engine or my heater). So after checking the thermostat and recognizing that it was a 160 degree t-stat, I changed it to a 195. Now i got plenty o' heat, but now it pings at/near WOT and make a metalic "flitter" kinda sound (?). Then the check engine light comes on (Goes off after shutting down then restartin').
    *As long as I am fairly gentle with the pedal, no pinging or check engine light.
    I am going to change the t-stat back to the 160 degree one, because I think there may have been a "chip-transplant" that I was not aware of. Does this theory pan out with anyone else??
    Also curious if I have to reset timing or anything...
    thanks,
    James
    87 k5, new (10K) GM goodwrench 350 with stock TBI on an Edelbrock Performer TBI intake.

2. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Could be a chip change, could be a bad knock sensor.

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yes, I would say that there may be a performance chip in there. Have you checked the timing? I would verify the timing before you swap the t-stat again.

4. jshadwick

Thanks, I will. Come to think of it, I had changed the intake manifold gasket at pretty much the same time (it was leakin'). I wonder if that could have messed with the timing... /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Let's see, to swap the intake manifold gasket you had to remove the distributor. If you didn't check the timing after reinstaling the distributor, then there's a 99.99% chance that the timing is off. Set the timing to spec and the pinging will probably go away. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. jshadwick

Dang, the timing was good.
    Also, I think that it pings when it is warmed up.
    For the sake of testing, I gunned it getting on the freeway when it was not fully warmed up(Im about 3/4 mile away from freeway) , and no ping. I didnt like doing that...but it seems to confirm my theory. If I had the time, I woulda just changed the damn thing today and be done with it...

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

you can retard the timing a few degrees and it might help with the pinging.it helped on my truck.