Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changes made from 1995-1998

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by JF 89K5, Jul 17, 2003.

1. JF 89K5

JF 89K5 Registered Member

I want to buy a ext. cab 4x4. Can anyone tell me, or know of a good source to find out what the differnces in these years are?

For example: When was the vortec introduced? 3rd door offered? Engine options? etc. What would be the best year to buy? It will be a daily driver/lumber hauler.

I have searched CK5 and the web and can't find a good source for this info.

Thanks,

JF /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

The same things were important to me when I chose my 96.

3rd door started in 96
    Vortech in 95
    Interior change in 95
    I beleive driver side airbag started with 95. In 97 they added a passenger side airbag which makes the dash a little different on that side along with no cup holders.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

vortec in 96, my 95 is TBI

4. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Oh! Thank you, Sorry bout that. When was push button 4wheel drive started? 97, 98?

5. JF 89K5

Thanks to you both. This is the stuff I need to know. I thought in '97 the vortecs increased in horsepower pretty significantly. Any confirmation on this?

JF

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

OBD-II in "96

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When was push button 4wheel drive started? 97, 98?

[/ QUOTE ]

96 is the first year for the NP243C (pushbutton) transfer case. Available with 4L60E or 4L80E.

8. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 97 ext cab, 2500HD. Has the Vortec 454, 4-speed auto, push button case, but I think its a 241c. At least on the 3/4-up trucks, 3rd door wasn't an option. I absolutely love my truck. Wish I had the money to lift it 4", but IFS lifts are expensive.

9. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Wish I had the money to lift it 4", but IFS lifts are expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I was lucky enough to find one in real good shape used including the shocks which were in great shape thanks to another member. It was spotted it in the paper.. I just replaced things that would wear easily like some bolts etc.. I saved myself about 1,000$ on the lift itself . As long as you know someone or can do the installation yourself as most shops wont install used lifts. Its something to do until you can afford one new. I know I couldn't afford it either /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

JF I had a 93 pickup previously with a 350 v8 and I can definitely notice the vortech 350 in my 96 has a lot more pickup and go. Where you able to decide on what you wanted?

10. JF 89K5

No not yet, but I am leaning tword a '97 since I did read on a Chevy page (sorry forgot which one) that the Vortecs increased hp for all engines in '97. Also I want the third door, however all the '96's and 97's I,ve looked at so far did not have a third door. They were all SB silverado's so I guess the third door started as an option in '96 but not standard? Unfortunately for what I can afford, if I get a '97 it will have high miles, oh well.

BTW nice website and good work on fixing up your '96, looks really good! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

JF

11. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Well don't give up, even if it takes a bit I am sure you will find something you will like. You never know what you will run into.

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW nice website and good work on fixing up your '96, looks really good!
    JF

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

97 was the first year for third door. I forgot about that till it was just mentioned.

13. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

How come my 96 has third door if they came out in 97?

14. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

JF I thought the increased horsepower started in 1996. Here is the amounts :
    "Chevrolet added 40 horses to the standard 4.3-liter V6, 45 to the 5.0-liter V8, 50 to the 5.7-liter V8 and 60 to the 7.4-liter Vortec V8. The 1996 5.0-liter V8 actually puts out 20 more horses than its big brother, the 5.7-liter, did in 1995. "

Here is a good arcticle that explains all of the changes, when they started and how it compares to other trucks. Arcticle

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

96 was the first year for Vortec motors in pickups so of course it jumped.

16. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I am all kinds of confused. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif You said third door started 97... My question is how is that possible if my 96 and all of the other 96 ex cab pickups I have seen have a third door??

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm I'm mistaken then. I read in that article that it was a rare option at first, rarity has been mistaken for nonexistence over time I guess.

18. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

a few that slipped through the cracks....the lighter/power outlets changed frim 95-96 i think, new steering wheel for 98, and the aluminum tailgate band was gone for 98, replaced with smaller badges

19. JF 89K5

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifI'll be damned if I didn't just stumble upon a great source to answer my ???'s and then some. ChevyHuny, looks like you are correct about the Vortecs introduced in '96, thus significant hp increase across the range of engines. Third door also introduced in '96 available only on the Silverado, ext cab. w/ vortec 5000 or 5700 mated to auto tranny. There is a lot more info in this link Edmunds /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

JF