Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changes needed for Headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NSU69, May 28, 2003.

1. NSU69

NSU69 Newbie

I'm a first time K5 owner and I need to know the necessary changes needed on headers for a 1988 K5 Blazer. It has the T.B.I. 350 with A/C. Also, I noticed fittings with metal tubing coming out of the each of the exhaust manifolds. What is this? And how do I accomodate those fittings for standard small-block Chevy headers?

2. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

You probably have a belt driven air pump on the pass side, ditch it.
    You have a tube going from one manifold to the air intake, ditch it
    You need headers with a fitting for your O2 sensor, you can either have one in the collector per made, or weld a bung in there yourself.
    Decide if you are keeping the catalytic converter or not, if so order two high flow cats if running duals.

I dont recommend the Dynomax headers I have, they did not fit well, but the dynomax duals and mufflers fit quite well.
    I had an 88 and did the exact thing you are doing /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have Dynomax headers and duals on my 4x4 and I couldn't be happier with them.

Have the manifold dual kit on my 2wd, fit great and sounds good too.

Overall I love Dynomax products.

Oh yeah, and welcome to CK5. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Before someone else says it, fill out your profile.

If you live in CA as compared to some Canadian province, your "requirements" are going to be much different. (emissions inspections)

5. NSU69

NSU69 Newbie

Sorry about the blank profile, guess I just forgot. Fixed it, though.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

no problem, just helps us help you /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now hopefully someone in LA can clarify some of the state laws if they've run into emissions issues.

But basically, if you don't have visual inspections, all you'll need is headers with the O2 sensor bung, and thats it.

Think most headers come with the AC bracket "spacer". If you look at the exhaust manifolds on the truck, examine all the bolts in them. If any have a bracket bollted to them, the headers will have to accomodate that. Having said that, I believe the only "shared" bolt you will find is the drivers side forward-most manifold bolt, which holds the rear AC bracket, and thats what the "spacer" is that the headers should come with.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i have dynomax headers on mine and there cool and all but kind of a pain in the but. i dont think they seal as well as manifolds would..

8. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah be sure to reset your ECM by disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds after the header install. This lets the computer "relearn" the engine.

I had Hedman headers on my 88, but they made spark plug service a major PIA

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

the spacer can also be fabricated if it is anything like the one I have on my 79 for the PS pump. Just get a piece of pipe and cut the legnth you need. Or I just used an extra long bolt with 2 nuts, put the 2 nuts on the bolt after the bracket. One acts as a jam nut against the header after you thread the bolt into the block, the second goes up against the bracket sandwiching it between the nut and the bolt head. I ran my Chevelle like this for years. I currently have the Hooker headers from the Chevelle in my blazer with a little but of massaging and creative torch heat they fit nicely.

10. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

mmmmmm, headers good, truck sound good, dynomax good. too bad the rest of my exhaust sucks.lol, but anywho, the dyno's dun seal quite as well as i would like, but i think i may have warped them a bit, so i dun know. as far as the air pump? well, it makes a good paperweight /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. MOTORHEAD

MOTORHEAD Registered Member

Don't get the summit truck headers (part # SUM-G9014). Came spray painted black, sand blasted it off and used rattle can high temp paint, (made by pace setter) I had to move the bung, trim the header flange and modify the drivers side frame rail to get them to fit, had to use two different types of spark plugsl (AC's and Autolites) . You can get a good set of headers with the AIR pump fittings in them (depending on how anal your local laws are) i'd look at BBK or Hooker.