Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing 12 Bolt Pinion Yoke

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by csnutrition, Apr 4, 2005.

1. csnutrition

csnutrition Registered Member

What difficuly level is it to replace rear pinion yoke (12 Bolt). The rear U-Joint cap is slipping within the yoke. If you loosen the Pinion Bolt and remove yoke, does it effect the backlash any? How difficult is it to remove and reseat the yoke? etc.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You are supposed to reset the gears after removing the yoke , that is the proper way . Use a new crush sleeve .

Now however some of us have been able to do it without resetting , myself included . We could of been lucky .

Mine is just cranked down as tight as it can go .

So far it isn't making any noises , nor is it running hot .

Luck is friendly to poor people sometimes :k5: :k5:

3. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

mark the nut and count the treads showing on the pinion. Retighten to that same mark. Since you are using a different yoke it may not be excact, assuming that there are manufacturing differences. The crush sleeve will take more torque to crush more than it will be to install a new yoke. I have had good luck replacing pinion seals without resetting pinion bearing preload. i.e. installing a new crush sleeve. My suggestion is to tighten until you feel the crush sleeve contact the yoke. Make sure that the pinion with yoke bolted on does not "walk" in and out. Good luck.