Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing 4x2 to a 4x4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rhom, Jun 6, 2004.

1. rhom

rhom Newbie

How hard is it to just switch the front axle? Using a 4x2 frame and putting a 4x4 front axle on it? Bunch of modifications or a straight unbolt and bolt on?

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

UHHHH, welllll....Where to start, OK I know... IN WHAT If it is a 4x2 then there is no front axel , so there will need to be extensive mods, the you have to add a transfer case along with that comes new drive lines. Then there is steering, brakes, etc. etc.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there is no axle under the front of a 2wd /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Have to cut leaf spring mounts off the front of a 2wd. Then cut a hole in your frame and mount the front spring shackle mount in there. Have to remove a crossmember and replace it with a 4x4 one I'm pretty certain. Might not, its the farthest forward one thats different. Should be a bolt in then. Have to put on a 4x4 steering box or go to crossover steering(crossover prefered method). remove the 2wd trans and replace it with a 4x4 one then install a transfer case. On a pickup I'm pretty certain a T case will contact the body unless you have a body lift.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You have a 2wd K5 and want to make a 4x4?
    Have to at lease lift but probably be esier to remove the engine. remove the 2wd front suspension. Then spread the frame to install the 4x4 suspension. The cut off the rear spring hangers and put the 4x4 hangers in there. Then put the engine back in it. Major pain in the butt.

It would be better in the long run to sell and buy a 4x4.

Fill out your Bio please.

5. rhom

rhom Newbie

Guess I should have explained it better. I know all about changing t-case and all the other 4x4 stuff, just couldn't remember the front susp. setup on a 2 wheel drive. I have a 6.2L w/ 4-wheel drive, crappy body. Have a chance to get a 6.2L w/ 2-wheel drive, great body. Was thinking of changing drivetrain instead of bodies. Just didn't know how much work changing the front end would be.

6. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I think you better off switching the bodies...

7. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I agree with smokkey1, it will be a alot easier to swap bodies.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Swap bodies, lot less work.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Body.

I asume this is a truck and not a K5. K5's as far as I am aware did not come 6.2 2wd.
    Do you know that 2 guys knowing what they are doing and equipped with Air tools can have a front clip off in 30 minutes?

The body is held on with about 10 main bolts. Then the rest is just plugs for the electrical.

The trick is lifting the body.

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Where are you located? if you do swap the good body onto the 4wd frame I might be interested in the 2wd frame as a rolling frame if your close to indiana /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree with changeing the bodies or buying a 4 wheel drive out right.

My brother and I are in the process in converting a crew cab right now. It is turning to be a little pain right now, but will be worth it when we are done because there weren't alot of factory built 4x4 crew cabs. To make a 4 wheel convertion practical require many factors.

1. Is the vehicle being converted rare? There is no use converting a 1/2 ton short bed when you could easially find one for a trade.

2. Having the require parts to do the convertion? You need more than the tranfer case and front axle to make the convertion to work. there are a lot of small pieces that need to be accounted for. Not only that, do pieces match with your drive train. For example, the right tranfercase adapter to your tranmission and a front end with the correct gears and number of lugnuts. Buying a donor truck would the easist way to get these parts.

3. [darn] ! there is more but I'm too tried to type anymore.

12. rhom

rhom Newbie

Well I'm located in Washington State. Little farm town called Garfield. Well thanks for the input, i've checked into it, and changing bodies is a hell of a lot easier. As for lifting the body, no problem. I have a 6-way electric hoist in my shop. It's handy as hell.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there are only 2 cases I would convert a 2wd. If I got a deal on a nice crewcab that was 2wd. Or if I got a really really good deal on a decent long bed. Crewcab would be a mud runner and show rig, long bed would just be a straight out mud runner. Otherwise its usually not worth the time and effort.

14. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There is one problem with changeing the bodies and is going to be a problem if you do the 4 wheel convertion. The center hump on the 2 wheel drive cabs are too low. Center hump modifcation are needed. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

15. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

yes sir.the hole i had to cut in the hump is bigger than i thought it would be.that was the biggest pain in the ass.and the shifter boot does not fit,thankfully we have rubber boots at work that go from 1in. to 6in.that are self adhereing. they are ment for pipes sticking out of flat roofs.it doesn't look to bad. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

You can use the hump out of your old k-5.... and do the body swap...... I would love to find a 2wd Blazer..... Even just the frame..... So I could build a 2wd DD...... I would remove the engine,trans and transfer case before you start to remove the bodies...... Dont forget about the wiring for the Gas gauge, Taillight, and power rear window if it has it. also don't forget to disconect the fuel filler lines. If you removed the transmission/ t-case the linkage is already disconnected....