Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing 91 Cluster For Older???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LEEREED123, Jul 19, 2006.

1. LEEREED123

LEEREED123 1/2 ton status

Since 1991 The Cluster Is An Assembly And A Pain To Find, Can I Swap It For An Older Style,like A 88-90 That I Can Actually Get Parts For?
    If So What Do I Need To Do?what Do I Need?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can swap anything, but in your case you'll need to swap the transfercase output setup, since it is VSS for '90-91, then you get to rewire the instrument panel connector.

There are plenty of parts for the '90/91 stuff, (especially used) only thing that is really different is the circuit board, plastic housing, and the speedometer. Everything else (fuel, oil, temp, voltage gages) is the same as previous years, of course to the point when the font on the gauges changed, I believe 1980.

3. rhino105amx

rhino105amx 1/2 ton status

Got a semi related question, I have an 87 Blazer that I put a 241 T/C and converted it to a mechanical speedo. I do have a 90 gage cluster with the electronic speedo. What would it take to swap in the electronic speedo? I have the t/c parts from the electronic speedo. I want to use the super short SYE and would have to swap if I do. Would I just plug in the cluster and rewire the VSS, or do I need to add something else?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Obviously you'd need to go back to the VSS output shaft setup, then get a DRAC, and the related wiring, and repin the instrument cluster connector.

It's not really that hard, just takes a few parts and some time.

I have a post on here I started which is supposed to be the "end all" DRAC/VSS thread, if you search for a post with DRAC in the title and my username for starting it, you'll find it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  5. rhino105amx

rhino105amx 1/2 ton status

Thnaks. I did a search, but didn't use the right search word apparently.