Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing a engine mount without removing the engine?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sickquad, Nov 18, 2004.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Anybody swap engine mounts without removing the motor? I have no engine lift right now. So I am wondering if I could block up the motor somehow and just do one side at a time. Maybe block up the transmission also? I would have to say that the oil pan would crush if I lifted on it so that is out of the question. Any ideas?

This is in a 84 pickup with a 350 and a 700R4.

Thanks
    Chris

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I've used a floor jack and a piece of 2x4 to wedge it under the motor near the mount before but never under the pan

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have done them in the truck--not much fun getting at the bolts,but its not impossible.The chiltons manual says to jack up the motor by using a block of wood under the harmonic balancer--I dont like that idea much(possible to damage the balancer,and make it come apart,especially if its soaked with oil)--I have jacked up the motor by the oilpan by putting a peice of plywood or 2x10 between the jack and the pan,but if its real crusty you might not want to put too much pressure on it,but you should be able to get the mount changed that way--be careful of the distributor cap(crack! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)it can hit the firewall if the motor is lifted too high!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I never had to change a whole mount with the engine in but I did break a mount bolt after I put my 406 in. I just put a block of wood between the pan and jakc and just lifted it up an inch or two, but all I had to do was get a new bolt to slide through.

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I swapped mine out using a block of wood and a jack under the stock oil pan and it worked fine. Like everyone else said though, be careful of the distributor.

6. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

Yep, what everybody else said /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I usely do the come-along / tree thing. All the come-along needs too do is pull the motor up slightly so you can get the old mount out and the new one in.

8. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Blocks worked fine. Just held the motor up and swapped them out. It went way to easy. Kind of just unbolted then bolted back in.

Thanks Guys
    -Chris