Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing axle seal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by doghouse, Aug 4, 2005.

1. doghouse

doghouse Newbie

My brother has an Avalanche and has a leaking rear axle seal from what he was told by the shop he was getting repairs done at. They said they could change it for $220 but I figured I'd check around on boards to find out how hard it would be to do the job ourselves. Anyone know how hard it would be and have a diagram of the axle set up. Is the seal near the housing or at the end of the axle tube? I have done a little work but never on Chevy's just my Jeep. :eek1:

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You have to open the diff and remove the block that prevents the C-clip axle shafts from moving inward. Then press in on the axle with the bad seal and the C-clip will fall off. Now you can remove the axle shaft, pry the old seal out of the end of the housing, and gently tap the new one into place. Lightly grease the edge of the new seal so that it doesn't get a dry start and then put the axle back in. Put the C-clip back on and reinstall the block.

(To remove the C-clip on an open diff, you just have to pull the pinion shaft that the spider gears ride on. If it's a G80 diff, then you have to remove the shaft and a metal block that rides on it.)

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if you do 1 seal then do 2 as it is already apart. trust me.:wink1:

4. doghouse

doghouse Newbie

COOL! thanks guys! THis block how do I remove it? Or will I know once I take off the diff cover?

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

spin the carrier around till you see a bolt going threw the cross shaft and carrier. remove it . but be carfull as thay can break in there. comon 10 bolt problem. drop pin oit but dont tun the spiders at all or thay will drop out along with the washers. like before slide shaft in and clips will be easy to remove . then pull shaft out . and like before change seal and lube seal lip and do the reverse of removal to install. easy as pie.:wink1: