Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing backspacing on runflats

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by coloradoblazers, Aug 10, 2002.

1. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am getting hummer wheels, and I was wondering if ORD can move the centers to change the backspacing. Where else might I check to have this done?

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

3. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Making the centers is not the hard part. For approx. a 3" backspacing the center needs to be close to 15 9/16". You can make a jig using a spare 16.5 wheel and all thread to set the back spacing. Tack the wheel center in place, then weld it in on a metal lathe to make the sure the center is perfectly in place. You must sand blast the inside of the wheel very good to remove the ceramic coating around the mild steel that makes them bullet proof. Otherwise, you can't weld it. Find the biggest plasma cutter you can find to cut out the old centers. You most likely wil not be able to cut them w/ a torch. PM me if you have more questions.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

tru design wheel in denver might be able to help you out, I've heard their name mentioned with several custom wheel projects.
    We probably could do it, I think the lathe might be big enough but it's a ways outside our normal job so I wouldn't take it.

5. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Or, you could just hire me to run the lathe and weld when I move out to Golden on Fri. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Can't wait. Mines will be a vacation compared to the last three months of pulling 70+ hr. work weeks.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'm not sure you could call 'Mines a vacation from anything! It's a heck of a commute from Golden to here, that might not work out so well!

7. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

If you're running a dana 60, dually bearing hubs might give you the spacing you need. Dually rear ends are also wider, and would probably need a small spacer to square the rear with the front. The dually bearing hubs can usually be gotten pretty cheap as most people are looking to go the other direction, i.e. dually to single wheel. BTW good luck at Mines, I am class of '94, Mining.