Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing bearings in rear axle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rick, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Rick

Rick Registered Member

Had my truck at the shop putting in a new tranny and the mech said the bearing were the driveshaft connects to the axle is no good its leaking and makes a noise when you put it on drive. Is this easy to replace myself or should I let them do it. My truck is an 86 with a 10 bolt, I'm just short on $$$ now, is it bad to drive it like that as long as I keep topping it of. Thanks for you're help on previous post its a great site.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You can drive it for a while, but you risk ruining your gears.
    Basically it's the bearing that holds the pinion, and if it is making noise then it's already wearing off and that will change the alinment and depth of the pinion leading to destruction of your gears.
    If I recall right, this axle has a crush sleave for bearing preload, and that should be changed when you change the seal. and you should know how much to tighten the nut to crush the sleave right.
    Basically you should know how much torque you should have to turn the pinion with an inch lb torque wrench, and you should keep tightening the nut on the yoke untill you reach that torque reading turning your pinion.
    If you have no clue I would let them do it, especially if you are low on $$$ since you will save your gears.

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If it is a 10 bolt and still has stock gears you could most likely find a whole new rear end in a junk yard for cheaper than you could fix that one. If it is making noises then metal is in your diff fluid and may be past the point of no return already. Some guys here would just about give you a 10 bolt to get rid of it