Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing carriers in a 10 bolt rear???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Quack_Addict, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I have two 10 bolt rear axles... one has a Gov-Lok that is going bad and the other has an Eaton Posi that I installed a couple years ago and has less than 2k miles on it.

The 10 bolt with the Gov-Lok has 3.73 gears... the Eaton Posi axle has 3.08 gears - so a simple axle swap isn't an option.

I am only going to use the axle with 3.73 gears and the other 10 bolt is getting downgraded to spare parts status.

For only changing the carrier (and installing the 3.73 ring gear onto the Eaton), can I leave the pinion intact and reshim the carrier or do I have to remove the pinion, install a new crush sleeve and reshim the whole assembly just like setting up a new ring & pinion set? The 3.73 axle is in my daily driver and I don't want something to come apart.

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I don't see any need to remove the pinion, I would go about it just like you said. Put the 3.73 on the other carrier and reshim it.

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

In general, no. You should not have to re-shim your pinion. In the process of shimming your carrier, you will need to reset the backlash and check your pattern. If both of those come out acceptable, then you should be fine. However, if one of those is out of whack for some reason, you may have to adjust the depth of the pinion to get the proper gear mesh. So, in general, no. But, in your specific application, it could be possible.

4. Quack_Addict

What should the backlash be for a used gear set?

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

According to my documentation, it is teh same as it would be for a new R&P set, .006-.010 BL. However, if it were me, I would measure the current backlash with the current carrier before removal. Then, I would try to get the backlash with the new carrier as close as possible to this current setup.

6. Quack_Addict

Thanks for the info!