Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing Dana 60 Dually

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Teacher, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Teacher

Teacher Registered Member

How do you change Front Dana 60 Dually to single wheel? There is some sort of spacer, what does it take......partswise to use in my truck. Thanks for the info

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You replace the whole bearing hub and rotor for a single wheel bearing hub and rotor.

OR:

You can send the dually bearing hubs and rotors to a machine shop (or Blazen91) and have them mill the hub down to 'single wheel' version.

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

3. Teacher

Teacher Registered Member

Do you have any part #'s or about how much money I am looking at? Bought the front and rear because I thought to put under mine, but don't want dually at this time........great gears 4:56's

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

THATK30GUY IS RIGHT IT IS NOT HARD AT ALL BUT THE PARTS ARE NOT CHEAP. YOU SHOULD CALL THE SALVAGE YARD TO GET THE BET PRICE.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If I can remember right, Shawn (on this site) said single wheel bearing hubs (only - no rotors) were $400.

Mike (Blazen91) can do the machine work for something like $200.

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Sorry for jumping in on this post but my question is similar. Can the rear bearing hub be milled down as well? There is like a two inch spacer cast in on both sides. Would doing this and just using shorter lug studs weaken that assembly too much. The hub would stick out farther but I don't mind. I want to use this Dana 70 rear but may just be a little too wide as is. Would i need to cut fenders to fit wheels in under compression? I kinda like the look of those cutout fender flares anyway.

Don't follow me, I won't make it.

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The dually/single conversion isn't cheap anyway you do it. The parts are pricey but keep looking around, sometimes you can find a deal or find someone that wants a dually!
    On cutting the rear, remember that a lot of guys end up about 70" wide in the rear and that's what some dually rears start at. We have a dodge D70 rear here that may end up in the back of one of our rigs if we can ever run out of the cheap 14bolt/detroit rears.
    Past that you'd have to approach turning the hubs down on an individual basis. There's a lot of work that can be done to them but also a lot of ways to mess up.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

8. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Regarding my dana 70 dually rear, Is the hub and the bell housing a single piece, or do they separate after driving out wheel studs? It looks like one piece to me but perhaps they are only rust welded. This would profoundly affect my decision on using this or not. I guess I should really just shop for a 10.5 full floater but this one is already paid for.

Thanks
    Tom

Don't follow me, I won't make it.

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

'Just a thought but maybe you could run som HMMWV rims to compensate for the added width. You still might have to modify the steering linkage to clear. Anyone know what the offset is for a Budd style rim from a dually truck?

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Or just put some 13-38's on the stock dually rims? Space the rear out to match and go for it. It might look a little homegrown but it's cheap!
    We have one customer that had custom wheels made with huge backspacing to run a dually front with a single axle rear and he just had to have 2 different wheels on the truck. If they were beadlocks you could just carry a spare tire with no wheel and put it on where you want I guess. I personally prefer having 5 of the same thing and rotating them through but there's a lot of ways to skin the same cat.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

11. ghostrid

ghostrid Registered Member

I have a set of dana 60 locking front hubs single wheel off of a 92 dodge ram 2500 diesel that I parted for just about everyting to stick under my 74 Winnie brave. The winnie is all done except for the gear swap in the rear end and the dually rims on the front. I will trade the single wheel locking hubs for the dually locking hubs. Everything is in excellent condition... i have been driving the Winnie for about a month now. Hunting season is comming up and I need to mount my rims on the front and get some new tires and alignment.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009