Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing Dash Lights

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MrBob, Feb 7, 2001.

1. MrBob

MrBob Registered Member

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has done this but it is amazingly easy for us novices. I thought you would have to take the entire instrument panel out to do this. Not true. All you have to do is get the plastic glass cover off and the black panel that covers the instrumets themaselves and you will see that the lights are plugged in easily accessable for replacememnt when yours burn out like mine did. Chiltons nor haynes makes comment how simple this is nor do they give instructions. I'll try to remember to get digital pix this evening for anyone who might be interested. So thei entire instrument cluster doens't need to be removed. It was also interesting that t most of the guages are plug ins too and not directly wired to anything. Mine's an '86 K5 305.....

Red Springs, N.C.
    "I ain't responsible for my crappy typin' or spellin'"

[​IMG]

2. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

a perfect tech article, methinks. steve (mr. coloradok5) is looking for informative tech articles, on real world stuff. like changing your burnt-out dash lights!
    he's offering two small and one large CK5 sticker.
    also a way for us mechanically-challenged people to contribute to the board....

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You don't have to even remove the front glass. You know those little sockets that the bulbs were plugged into?? They remove from the backside of the cluster with just a quarter turn. [​IMG] You can reach up from under the dash to get at 'em.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Harry is right. All you have to do is take out the HVAC duct (if you have one) that runs over to the drivers side vent so that it is not in your way. Then just reach up through the mess of wires and unplug the little socket. Then the whole thing removes with no wires attached. Put in a new bulb, clean the contacts to reduce "flickering" and plug it back in.

If you are going to go in through the instrument cluster, it is easier to pull the cluster forward then it is to remove the clear plastic and then take out each of the gauges as needed. Just reach up behind to unclip the speedo cable and the cluster will come out.

<font color=blue>5-lugs: The sign of true weakness.</font color=blue>

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I just liked pulling out the whole cluster better. That way I could clean all the plastic, clean the rear contacts and adjust the bulb holders that were loose. I also straightened up the wires behind the panel. Its a pain getting it to all come out though but it kept me entertained. Taking the glass off makes one or two bulbs alot easier project. You can get most of the bulbs out by hand but its harder I think. You have to remove the vent tube and you have to dodge the steering column and the whole nine yards, its pretty frustrating.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The problem I've found with taking the dash apart for anything is that each time it comes apart, the plastic that the screws go into gets a bit more wallowed out. Over time the dash starts to rattle and squeak. I don't go in there unless I absolutely have to. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

7. MrBob

MrBob Registered Member

Isn't it interesting how none of the manuals describe this? I jsut found this out by pulling and taking off...the behind the dash pull 'em out would have been easy.

Thanks all

Red Springs, N.C.

[​IMG]

8. MrBob

MrBob Registered Member

Isn't it interesting how none of the manuals describe this? I jsut found this out by pulling and taking off...the behind the dash pull 'em out would have been easy.

Thanks all

Red Springs, N.C.

[​IMG]