Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing Frames

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by surg82k5, Apr 8, 2001.

1. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

I am looking for any suggestions or hints about changing the frame out of my '82 Chevy Blazer. I will be adding a 4" lift and ORD steering brace, sway bar dissconnects, body mounts. Is there anything that I should particularly look out for. I will be doing this with the help of one other guy probably this summer, previous plans fell through, so I am trying to get some helpful hints and warnings before I try to do this. Any specific tools that I will need? Anyone in the Austin, Texas area that could lend some knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Sergio Aleman

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

while its all apart put in the brace behind the steering box,the welded in one.i see you plan on the ORD brace but make sure the frame isnt cracked.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer silverado 400 horse 350 w/vortec heads 38 x15.5 swampers (40 hawgs next)10 bolts(blah)w/4:88s coming soon,14 bolt.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Contact Rocko, he swapped his frame or body(one of those[​IMG]) He also lives in Round Rock, and I live in Austin

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize you are in a hurry."

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I just swapped my body{on my blazer!} and I used a big forklift!
    [​IMG]
    but I bet you don't have one, huh. wanna drive it to new york?

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

5. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

6. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

top ok

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The worst (and toughest) part is getting the body up in the air high enough, safely! (since you can only go in from front/back or side depending on how you support it) The frame is bent upwards, and with tires, the lowest part of the body (the rocker panels) have to be higher in the air than the tires...thats like 3 feet or so...without the proper equipment (forklift lol) its easier to roll the frame underneath the body than move the body over a frame. You MIGHT get lucky if you can get ahold of two engine hoists, one on each side, and use the setbelt attaching points..K5 body is heavy, but two hoists rigged somehow might be able to do it...I used a floor jack, lots of blocks, and pallets. Shoulda taken pictures..it only fell off twice!

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>