Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

changing from 10's to 15's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by tecton, Jul 16, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

changing from 10\'s to 15\'s

ok...got my pair of 10's at 300w a piece....they are alright.

if i move up to 15's...same power...will the increased size make it even out to soudn about the same or will i be buying new windows?

2. DOCKAWI650

DOCKAWI650 Registered Member

Re: changing from 10\'s to 15\'s

you will get a lot more bass and wont hear the lyrics as well....my brother has two 15s in his car that are 800watts each..i would only recommend them if you listen to rap..otherwise stick with 10s or 12s

-Doc

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Short answer.....

It's going to be tough to make 15's "dance".....it takes a lot of power to move a big speaker like that move quickly and cleanly.

More importantly, 15's tend to overwhelm the rest of the system. What are you running for upper bass? 15's can't do upper bass, so unless you have a STRONG set of drivers for that set of frequencies, you'll have a big gaping hole in your frequency response. THIS is the reason most people think the larger subs sound like crap.....there's a bunch of music missing.

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Short answer.....

It's going to be tough to make 15's "dance".....it takes a lot of power to move a big speaker like that move quickly and cleanly.

More importantly, 15's tend to overwhelm the rest of the system. What are you running for upper bass? 15's can't do upper bass, so unless you have a STRONG set of drivers for that set of frequencies, you'll have a big gaping hole in your frequency response. THIS is the reason most people think the larger subs sound like crap.....there's a bunch of music missing.

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg said it best. I have two Rockford Fosgate HX2 15's running 1000 watts per subs and they make will make floors in peoples house shake a few blocks away. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif(with the top on of coarse) So if that is not what floats your boat I would stick with the 10's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

all hail and bow down to the great god of audio Greg72!!!
    lol. buit anywho, he said it best about the 15's. u want tight crisp bass and not just lud thuds. so stick with 10's (12's max i would say) and put a decent amp behind them. that should be fine for most all audio needs cept db drag racing (which is pointless and expensive to boot) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif