Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing from mechanical to electric fuel pump...but which fuel line???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coopdog, Apr 8, 2006.

1. coopdog

coopdog Registered Member

1972 Chevy Truck, BB 454, Gas tank is behind the seat.

I am replacing my mechanical fuel pump with a Edelbrock electric fuel pump part # 1791. The Edelbrock technician said to mount the new pump below the tank on or near the frame...no problem. However, when I removed my mechanical fuel pump I noticed that there were two fuel lines...a 3/8" line and a 1/4" line. The tech said the 3/8" line is the main fuel line and that it should go/hook up to the electric fuel pump. He then said that the 1/4" line is a return line and that I need to place a "small motorcycle fuel filter or something similar" on the end of the 1/4" return line. Is this correct? If so where do I place the small fuel filter....wouldnt this filter leak fuel out of the other end??? Can I just plug the line with a bolt and hose clamp?

Thank you for the adivice/help in Advance.

Semper Fi,

Coop :confused:

2. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Coopdog,
    I believe he means to put a small fuel filter in the return line to the tank, not to cap it off. However, I've never heard of a filter in the return line. I checked my factory service manual and there doesn't appear to be one for mine (1990 with in tank factory electric fuel pumps).

BTW, welcome!