Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing from standard to auto in a 1st gen K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazin72, Feb 27, 2001.

1. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

What do I need to look for when changing from a standard to automatic. I have a 71 With a 350 turbo and Np 205 that I would like to put in the place on my 4 speed and 205 in my 72.
    Can I leave the transfer case or is the splines different and what about drive shaft? What do I need to look for to be a problem.
    I am tired of shifting I know the 4 speed is a hell of alot better but i am getting lazy I guess.
    Thanks for all the help

Blazin 72

2. fastzilla

fastzilla Registered Member

The SM465 vs of the NP205 is a 10spline(100% sure), the TH350 vs NP205 is a 27 spline(90% sure). The t-case will need to be swapped too. Its easier to go from manual to auto than the other way. Might need to get the column shift stuff unless you plan to use a floor shifter. Pedals maybe, the clutch pedal can be unbolted by the pivot and removed leaving the small brake pedal, if you don't mind that. The SM465 is 12" from back of bell housing to back of trans, not including the adapter between the trans and t-case. You 've got them both there so you can measure, the front and rear output yokes are the same on the 2 NP205s so the lenght is the only issue... Good luck.
    Eddie

3. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Do you wanna sell your sm465 and transfer case? I wanna swap out my th350/205 for a stick

4. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

You will also need to swap the radiator so that you will have a trany cooler.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM>http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM</A>

5. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info.
    Roostr84 Do you have any idea what shipping would be to oklahoma. There might be a possiblity. What kind of shape is your tranny and transfer in.
    You can e-mail me we can talk send it to hforrester@datalinkok.com
    Thanks

Blazin 72

6. fastzilla

fastzilla Registered Member

From NJ to OK.... Forget it ... Head south on 35 for a few hours to Dallas and pick up the combo for $200... UPS will ship up to 150# anywhere in the states for $61.50, according to their pricing charts... The NP205 without adapter is 135# and the SM465 is a he!! of a lot heavier...
    Eddie