Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

changing front and rear diff fluid

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85chevy4x4, Sep 17, 2002.

1. 85chevy4x4

85chevy4x4 Registered Member

I'm going to change the fluid in my front and rear differential tonight. It has a 10 bolt front and a 14 bolt full floater in the rear of my 85 chevy 3/4 4x4. What is involved in changing the oil? What do I need to use? How much does each hold? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Simple. Put a drain pan under the differential. Take all of the bolts out except for the very top one. Losen that one a couple of turns. Then just pry off the bottom of the cover and all of the fluid will drain out. Once the fluid is drained, take out the top bolt and take off the cover.
    Use SAE 80W-90 GL-5 gear lube.
    Make sure when you put the cover back on that you scraped off the old gasket and either replaced the gasket with a new one or that you use rtv sealant.
    Capacities - 14 bolt? 10 bolt I think something like 2.5 quarts. Man I wish I had my Chiltons with me at college.
    Hope this helps.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What he said /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    But when you do, you might wanna take off the covers and just inspect for any type of unregular wear or any metal shavings inside...fillup hole for rear diff is on the front side on the passenger side of the driveshaft. And the front fillup hole is on the diff cover. hope this helps

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, do the inspection, but since you have to remove the cover to scrape off the old gasket anyways, it's not like it requires any more work. </font color>

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

And before you refill your diffs, use some BrakeKleen and spray down the inside of your diff. BrakeKleen helps break down any sludge that's built up in there. I use one can per diff. Make sure you clean out the inside really good and let the leftover BrakeKleen evaporate, because if you put in fresh gear oil too soon, any remaining BrakeKleen will start to break the oil down.

6. 76k5Blazer

76k5Blazer 1/2 ton status

an engine cleaning air spray gun and gas works good too.
    Thats what we used when i worked at a diff shop to clean out the housings.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I used Diesel fuel in a poison sprayer (hand pump tank thing like you get at Home Depot) to flush mine out nice and clean. I'm not sure if the inner seals on the front diff would like the brake clean. Probably wouldn't hurt them but, I don't know what the seals are made of or how resistent they would be to solvent that "hot"...

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

My D44 holds almost a gallon on its own. My 12 bolt is around 3 quarts. If I remember correctly, when jekbrown did the his D60 and 14bolt, he used a gallon for each diff.