Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing Fuel filters on my 6.2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

My burb 6.2 has the two canister filters- I've changed the filter on my other 6.2, which uses the square model 80.

These filters are really a pain in the butt, especially trying to bleed them the right way. The issue I have is:

the burb has a mechanical fuel pump- The only way to prime this system, is to crank the engine-

Im supposed to fill up the new filters with diesel fuel- You can see the issue I have is, A. where to get the fresh diesel fuel from ( that has already been filtered) and B. how do I go abouts repriming.

Do I just spin off the filter, pull the pink wire, and crank away?

Or should I pull off the filters, put the new ones on, Grab a can of WD 40, get the truck started, and spray for a min or 2 to keep it running and thereby priming the system?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

For changing filters I do it this way (and I have a canister type plus a Racor)

pull pink wire

Remove filter and Racor. Fill canister and screw onto housing, I know that technically that fuel is unfiltered. :rolleyes:

Next I clean the water separator and spin that onto the bottom of the new Racor, fill with diesel and spin that onto the housing. I now have both filters on and full of fuel...

Next I undo the fuel line aft of the filters and before the IP and set up a small bucket to catch the fuel. Then I spin the motor over for about 5-10 seconds or until I see a good stream of fuel going into the bucket. Then I reconnect the fuel line to the IP, hook up the pink wire and fire it up. It will prolly run a bit rough for the first little bit but should smooth out quickly enough.

I try to keep the fuel line going to the IP elevated while I'm purging the filters so I don't end up getting a bunch of air in that line.

That's how i did it last time and I didn't end up airlocking it and it worked just fine. Just make sure you disconnect the pink wire before you try and purge the filters.

Rene

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

To get filtered diesel you can disconnect the pink wire from the IP, the undo the fuel line aft of the old filters before pulling them...then crank the engine until you have enough filtered fuel to fill up the new filters (using a clean container)

Rene

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

cool, thanks!