Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing Gas Tank Sending Unit And Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerguy 90, Oct 14, 2005.

1. blazerguy 90

blazerguy 90 1/2 ton status

Im in the process of changing my sending unit and fuel pump, ive been working on removing the gas tank for the last 3 days (about an hour and a half each night after work) I removed the rear bumper to get to the gas tank strap nuts, removed the bolts for the gas tank skid plate but I couldn`t get it off, so I removed the strap nuts hoping I could get the skid plate and tank off together, that didn`t work, so I had to remove the frame mounted hitch, that was a b!tch because the bolts are inside the frame next to the tank, I finally got the bolts for the hitch off and the tank and skid plate came right off. I need to replace the hoses that go from the filler neck to the tank and also the pads that go between the straps and the tank. the auto parts store has the filler hose, but would they also carry the pads I need that go between the straps and tank ?.

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

they might... if not, try something homebrew: roofing felt paper (its virtually the same stuff, and if it wears out, buy the right stuff when that time comes)

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup..

I've used roofing felt too,or even better,old 10 speed bike tire tubes!..I saw one truck that had old bicycle tires under the gas tank straps! ..people use anything in a pinch!..my friend wrapped them with the old standby,--
    duct tape!. :crazy:

4. blazerguy 90

I was thinking the same thing, if I can`t find pads I was thinking of using an old inertube and cutting some strips and glueing them to the straps.

5. blazerguy 90

It just amazes the hell out of me how some people (previous owners) can screw up things on a vehicle, I got the gas tank out of my Blazer last night, after removing the old sending unit I was checking it out to see if I could find were it was bad, I found two problems, first the all of the wires had been pinched between the tank and frame and the wires were bare in a one inch area and almost completely worn through, how the fuel pump was even operating I have no idea. the other thing I found was the part that send the signal to the gas gauge was fried, you could actually see were it burned out. tomorrow I will be putting the tank back in place and im sure it will run a whole lot better.