Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing GEAR oil????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ED70K5, Jun 13, 2000.

1. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

What kind of gaskets should I use when I change my DANA 44 and 12 bolt gear oil on my 70 K5?? I have never done this myself and want to save some cash on the labor. Anything special I should do?? Any first-timer tricks or tips I should know of???? What kind of gear oil should I use?? Sorry for the elementry questions, I always went to a shop to do this. Now I'd rather do it myself!!

Blazin' in TEXAS!

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I just go to Pep-boys or AutoZone and ask them for a gasket for a 10-bolt(or in this case a D44 & 12 bolt). I use Valvoline 90W gear oil.

http://www.blazer.coloradok5.com is now under construction[​IMG]
    YEEEE HAWWWW[​IMG]

3. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

You don't even need gaskets if you don't want to use them. Just get a tube of Black RTV silicone. Read the other post,, "Can't get Diff to stop leaking"

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

4. Oil Man

Oil Man Registered Member

You could use any gear oil but if you want to use the best then call Mag-Hytec and order the LE #607 SAE 90. Tests have shown that the LE oil has 33 times wear than even the Amsoil 75w-90 synthetic gear oil. Mag-Hytec's number is 1-818-786-8325 or www.mag-hytec.com

Sincerely, Kevin

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't use the paper gaskets at all on the diff covers. A light coating of RTV (I use black because I don't like the look of the blue stuff around the edges) seals it up great. Just be sure to get the very bottom edge grease free (gear lube seems to ooze out of the housing for hours!). I wipe out the bottom of the diff housing with a rag, clean the sealing edge and slap the cover in place while everything's clean. Haven't leaked a drop in years.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com