Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing gears How hard/technical ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WinnipegK5, Sep 5, 2003.

1. WinnipegK5

WinnipegK5 Registered Member

I just bought another 79 Blazer for parts especially the stock front and rear 4.10 posi diffs. My orginal plan was to swap front and rear axles complete which is heavy work but not technical. Would I be better off just changing the gears ?? I have 3.08's now.

Thanks
    Mike

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You'll be much better off to just swap the axles. It's heavier work but will take less time to do it and you're less likely to mess anything up. </font>

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I agree /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Invite one or two mechanically inclined buddies over to help (and bring along some jackstands, unless your garage is awash in them), jack both rigs up fairly close to each other, and then swap out the complete axle assemblies. It'll take about half a day and you won't have to wonder if you screwed up setting up the gears. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Just FYI, BUY NEW U-BOLTS, do mess with trying to remove the olds and re-use them. I tried using mine over again, finally ended up taking a torch and cutting them off. Trust me the time you spend trying to remove the olds ones is worth the money for new ones. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The 14Bff tubes are larger diameter anyway so you will have to replace the rear if you are going 3/4 ton.

Just my 2 cents

Krennen

6. WinnipegK5

WinnipegK5 Registered Member

OK, the plan will be to swap the axles one at a time . I was a bit afraid of replacing the gears .
    Thanks for the advice!

Mike