Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

changing gears in a front 10 bolt.. hard?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 58 apache, Jan 8, 2007.

1. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

i have a chance to get a beefed up 10 bolt thats close enuff to pick up. it is geared 5.13 i need 4.56. how hard is this swap? i just tore down my 14bff to install locker.piece of cake. i know the set up is different on a 10 bolt so how difficult is it to change gears? do i need a different carrier? for now this 10 bolt is more feasable money wise for me than a 60. i wont be wheelin this rig real hard just play. i need the 8 lug pattern. i have considered doing a conversion on my current 10 bolt but it isnt 4.56 eather and i would have as much in my stock 10 bolt conversion as i would to buy this front that is built pretty stout http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176200 crazy427 said 300. how much will it cost to change gears? oh and this is a stupid question but what is a 30 spline quick locker? thanks, eric

2. 84 K5 4x4

84 K5 4x4 1/2 ton status

It is very easy just time consuming you have to take pretty much the whole front end apart. But it can be done in a couple of hours.

3. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

I had mine done (big mistake shouldve just found a d60 with 4.56) and originally it was supposed to cost $700-800 but then they said I needed new hubs and eventaully it came out to $1100

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Maybe two hours if you leave out some steps, like "checking pattern".:eek1:
    Checking pattern was talked about a while back. Turns out mustard works as good as anything you could buy "automotive".:haha:

5. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

why so much? I`ve heard it only costs like 2-300???

6. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

well found a d60 instead so no need now

7. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

I had to get anew carrier to go to 4.56. the gears were 145, the master kit was 85, axle seals were 20, carrier was 50, freight was 30, and labor was 560. And then the hubs were like $90 and then labor for that, and a new ujoint, and something else i think. Dont get me wrong it's a great shop and a bunch of people reccomended them but WAY too much for a 10b. If only id known itd be so much I'd have had a d60 up there right now

8. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It cost me about the same to have mine done. Biggest mistake I have ever made... :mad:

They said it was an 8 hour job and I supplied all the gears and the install kit. They originally quoted me for $600 (labor/shop fees) But I had to get a new tie rod, and a bunch of little parts in the hubs too. so the grand total came to $1056 or something close to that.

But on the upside, I know its done correctly and they warrentied their work too. Also they are the only shop I know of in the area that will setup a ring and pinion.

You know what Ben, on second thought it might not be a good idea if I try to give you a hand, 2 noobs pissing on a front axel won't be good. :eek1:

9. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

exactly what I was thinking