Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing gears

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 15, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

How difficult is it to swap gears in differentials while they are still under the rig? (14 bolt FF and D60)

I have a friend with a 1-ton Crew Cab and we just discovered today he has 4.56 gears in it. I have 4.10's in mine. He's only going to run about a 34" tall tire and I'm going to run 44" tires; so I offered a trade of my 4.10 gears for his 4.56's.

I figured it'd be easier to swap out the whole differentials, but I don't think he wants to do that.

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

That would be labor intensive.
    If you haven't set up gears, i would highly recommend against this. Honestly, even if you have done a hundred sets I would still say no.
    Swap out entire axles if you want to do that.
    -- Mike

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

By"swapping differentials", I assume you are talking about carriers. That wouldn't make any real difference in the labor. Only thing it would save you is bolting/unbolting the ring gears. You still have to set the gears up. And if you haven't done it before, it is labor intensive and requires some specil tools. However, it can be done. I did mine myself and I consider myself shadetree.

Swapping axles may be the easiest way to do this for both, but hat depends on the application of course.

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I agree, I swapped axles to get my 4.56's.

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I'd gear lower, but... It shouldn't be too bad, but you'll NEVER get them to mesh up like they originally were. They'll wear down a lot faster. I'd swap entire axles with him.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm gonna agree that you should swap the entire axles. It would be a hell of a lot easier on both of you. Setting up 4 R&amp;Ps is a daunting task. The 14 bolts are pretty easy, but the 60s take some time. Just let him drive around on the 4.56s with 34s for awhile, he'll want to swap pretty quick... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

7. mountainexplorer

Yeah, I figure swapping whole axles would be easier. (thats what I intended to mean by "differentials"). I'll just offer to do the swap with him...I'll even do all the work myself. It's worth it to me to get 4.56's, and he should get more what he wants for mileage.

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I agree with the full axle swap thing. If $$ allows, I recommed putting in all new u-bolts at the same time. If you do this, then cut off the old ones with a grinder or cutting torch. This in itself will same enought time, making the expense of the u-bolts worth it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. mountainexplorer

I'm gonna be pulling the 6" lift out of my Crew Cab anyway and putting a 12" under it, so I have different U-bolts. And it happens that he just put a 4" lift under his crew cab, so the U-bolts are brand new. Hasnt even been on the road yet. It should make life a bit easier if I do the swap. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Allan I need to come help you, maybe some of your good luck in finding these things will rub off...

Did I tell ya i got 4 good 38x13x16 TSL's for 300 bucks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. mountainexplorer

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Pretty good tread?