Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing Heads, Intake and Carb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazer_87, Oct 19, 2001.

1. blazer_87

blazer_87 Registered Member

I have a 87 Blazer, 350 TBI. I want to replace the heads with my Trick Flow 23 degree heads, change the Intake to Performer RPM, TBI to Edelbrock Performer 750.

Do I have to keep the EGR? Will I need to change distributor? Any other help will be appreciated! Let me know if I am wasting my time or If this will be a good thing

Thanks

87 Blazer 32x11.50s

2B1ASK1

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll need a new distributor that has provisions for mechanical and vacuum advance. The one in there now is fixed. The computer adjusts the timing by controlling how long it delays the signal sent from the pickup.

Don't plan to ever move to a state that has emissions testing. Without the TBI, it won't pass. [​IMG] For example, Colorado confirms that the check engine light works in self test mode and that it is off while the engine is running.

Oh yeah, you can get similar performance and save some serious cash by going with GM's Vortec heads. They're under $500 per pair, complete. Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://www.sdpc2000.com>www.sdpc2000.com</a> for more info. They require a different intake, but Edelbrock makes intakes that will work with those heads.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Oh yeah, keep the EGR. It not only reduces emissions, but it greatly reduces part throttle detonation.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. blazer_87

blazer_87 Registered Member

I already have the TrickFlow heads, Intake, and carb. from an engine I was building to drag race. I guess I am trying to decide whether to use parts from that engine , replace the entire engine, or leave it as is.

87 Blazer 32x11.50s

2B1ASK1

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sell the parts that you have, buy some Vortec heads and GM Vortec to TBI intake and you will be much happier, and legal too! Not to mention you will get much better fuel mileage.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd say leave it as is, unless you can find a TBI intake for those heads. BUT a drag race engine isn't the best thing for one of these trucks, unless you like going really fast in a vehicle that can't stop nor steer for squat : )

Keep EGR, it helps more than hurts

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?