Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing intake and carb..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confedneck, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

So im planning on changing my intake and carb out for a stock gm aluminum intake and quadrajet.. im getting the q-jet in trade for the holley contendor intake and holley carb that are coming off the motor.. which is fine by me..

just checking to make sure that any gaskets i get for a sbc intake will work to mount the intake to my truck.. the intake is from and 86 monte carlo 305 and the motor in my truck is from who knows what..

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

55-86 Chevy small blocks should all use the same intake gaskets.

The 87-95 motors have their own set of intake gaskets because the bolt holes are slightly different.

I can't really see any issues using the regular $10 set of SBC intake gaskets on them. Fel-Pro of course. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sorry no part number for ya this time. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I use Torque Plus intake manifold gaskets, and like them alot.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Just a bit of advice, if you can help it, try to stay away from fel-pro gaskets. Fel-pro puts more money into their name than they do in their products. I dont trust fel-pro gaskets as far as I can throw them. Every fel-pro gasket I have put on my truck has leaked (I know its not my doing because I switched to nicer gaskets and no leaks now). Try to find some nice rubber gaskets, or even the white (i dont know what they are made of) kind. Corteco makes some good gaskets, although I dont know where you can buy them other than have an engine shop around your area order them for you.
    -Harrison

5. Confedneck

well hell those are some expensive gaskets for a raggedy 350.. i think ill buy some from the machine shop in town.. whatever the guy reccomends.. all im really worried about is screwing up my timing..

6. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

My engine is built with corteco gaskets, they are very good gaskets, they are mainly a high perf. marine gasket(make sure your crank seals are standard rotation for auto use), if you can find a machine shop that is heavy into offshore racing, they will probably stock them

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

set you truck at TDC before taking apart. Note were the vacuum advance points and make a mark on the distributer were the rotor points. When you put it back in, try and line it all back up. That should be close enough to start. just reset with a light.

8. Confedneck

this is starting to sound like a project i should do at work instead of at my house, since i dont own a timing light, nor do i have any idea how to use one.. and sinee a lot of guys at work know sbc stuff i figure if i run into trouble someone there could help me..

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Just a bit of advice, if you can help it, try to stay away from fel-pro gaskets. Fel-pro puts more money into their name than they do in their products. I dont trust fel-pro gaskets as far as I can throw them. Every fel-pro gasket I have put on my truck has leaked (I know its not my doing because I switched to nicer gaskets and no leaks now). Try to find some nice rubber gaskets, or even the white (i dont know what they are made of) kind. Corteco makes some good gaskets, although I dont know where you can buy them other than have an engine shop around your area order them for you.
    -Harrison

[/ QUOTE ]

Fel-Pro is on the absolute cutting edge of the sealing industry.

I am saddened to hear that someone could even possibly bad mouth their stuff.

I personally won't use or sell anything else.

Sorry to bring this thread to the top, but it is really shocking to see a comment like that.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Have several shop rags/paper towels handy to catch the gasket scrapings. A shop vac is handy for getting most of those scrapings out of the lifter valley.

11. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Try bending a couple sheets of card stock paper into the lifter valley before you start scraping the gasket to make the clean-up a lot easier. If you stick some sponge in the intake ports it will keep everything out of the heads. Just remember to pull everything out when done, (missed a sponge once and the intake isn't fun to pull off the second time). /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

12. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

um ya im gonna hafta second the fel pro is the best gasket made thing here /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif....