Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing my SM465 for a T350 - What sorts of headaches am I in for?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72Blazerod, Aug 10, 2002.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Installing this 1990 Corvette engine has given my my share of head aches, mostly focussing around my clutch linkage. The other day my wife said, "Why don't you use that transmission you have in the garage?" and it got me thinking.

I have a 1972 GMC 3/4T 2wd Turbo 350 sitting in my garage. I will be towing my 16ft travel trailer (next summer now). What sorts of things will I have to get and do to be able to put this tranny in my truck? I do like the SM465 but this is going to be a daily driver so an auto would be nice in traffic. How hard is it to rebuild a T350 (for towing and daily driving)? I don't do much hardcore wheeling, just logging roads to campsites.
    What do you guys suggest? I haven't driver her since February and it is killing me. I have to get her back on the road.

Thanks,

Rod

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure about the 2wd mating to the t-case but you will need:
    Taller tranny hump (with only one hole)
    Steering columb with shifter (you might be able to trade someone and get some cash to boot...the manual ones are much harder to find)
    Front and rear driveshaft
    Linkage

3. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Man its ashame you aren't closer I am in the process of going from my th350 to an sm465 in my 69. Let me know if you are nterested in anything.
    Chris