Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing my SM465 for a Turbo 350 - What am I in for?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72Blazerod, Aug 10, 2002.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Installing this 1990 Corvette engine has given my my share of head aches, mostly focussing around my clutch linkage. The other day my wife said, "Why don't you use that transmission you have in the garage?" and it got me thinking.

I have a 1972 GMC 3/4T 2wd Turbo 350 sitting in my garage. I will be towing my 16ft travel trailer (next summer now). What sorts of things will I have to get and do to be able to put this tranny in my truck? I do like the SM465 but this is going to be a daily driver so an auto would be nice in traffic. How hard is it to rebuild a T350 (for towing and daily driving)? I don't do much hardcore wheeling, just logging roads to campsites.
    What do you guys suggest? I haven't driver her since February and it is killing me. I have to get her back on the road.

Thanks,

Rod /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Can't comment on the work aspect, but a T350 is PLENTY strong enough for dang near anything.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's bolt in. Might need a different cross member. Take the linkages off and your set. If you want to do the full conversion then find a Auto equipped truck to get the Auto Brake peddle assembly off. again it's bolt in. You could swap in a auto colum for the shifter or get a B&M Truck floor mounted shifter and go that route. Will have to mess with the drive shaft lenght and proably have to swap the yoke on the drive shaft . Parts for that sort of swap should be easy to find. You could probably sell the 465 and Manual parts and more than cover the cost of what you need.
    I would check the for sale section of the 67-72 site. Check with Fast 68 Chevy...he's parting a couple trucks right now and proably will have the peddles and maybe even a auto colum.
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php3?s=

4. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

would you be willing to trade??? i have a fresh 700r-4 with lots of goodies in it- heavy duty servo, heavy duty valve body, extra clutches in the 3-4 shift pack, kevlar bands... i would trade steering column, pedals and, trans/adapters if possible... i have an np208 bolted up now... maybe trade tx-case too??? let me know

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I took out the 465 and put in a TH350. The auto was longer but the transfercase adapter was shorter with my 205. It ended up being the exact same length and did not have to touch the drivelines or move the crossmember at all. You will have to get the tailshaft changed out to work in a 4x4. Dont know what this takes as have never done it. Maybe you could do a trade with a junkyard or something.

6. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

??????? you want a turbo 350 ?????????

You wont have any trouble finding takers for the 4 speed. How much you want for it?