Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

changing passenger foot area to a duel sub box???

Discussion in 'Audio' started by supersize75k5, Feb 19, 2004.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Just looking at it today, it would be big and a great space to work with, I dont care about the rear passengers so screw them but...

anybody thought about it? 77 and up blazers /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

maby I could pull off a bandpass with two 4 inch ports /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I dunno justr shooting in the dark here /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why not just put it behind the rear seat?

3. supersize75k5

I plan to use this blazer for work, I also have the top off already and dont plan to put it back on any time soon so the easier to hide the better, also with it being bandpass the only thing I need to show is the ports the rest can be stelth. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

just have carpet over it and screening material or grills gor the bandpass, I thought about a sealed but I feel I would punncture a sub if it was in the back or any where else for that matter /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Build it underneath the truck (in metal) and run the ports to the interior.

5. rjfguitar

If you plan on leaving your top off than I would not put subs in it. As far as cargo space, if you have a box in front of the seat then you won't be able to move your rear seat forward for more room anyway. At least with the box behind the seat...you can push the seat and box forward for more room. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. supersize75k5

I dont plan on keeping the seat in there unless I need it, as for the..

"If you plan on leaving your top off than I would not put subs in it."

why?

theft or sound quality?

I dont care about either, I just want more sound, in the 75 I have two cheap a$$ 6x9's facing forward under the seats and it keeps me happy, I listen to the big block, the music is my back drop sound /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I also like to just turn the radio on when I am out side so louder is a must now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. supersize75k5

greg I like this idea, but as you know I am shure the 73-75's had the no foot space and the 76 or 77 up do have it, I am rippping every inch of the floors out so it will go into the new floor design I am just thinking or trying to get a plan going for it. I think the best way would be metal and just integrate it into the floor where the foot space should be /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    "If you plan on leaving your top off than I would not put subs in it."

why?

theft or sound quality?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Both, the subs won't hit very well with all that open space and no place to resonate, at least that is what happened whenever I took off my top.
    But mostly theft, why would you put subs in there with no top when they have a good chance of getting stolen. Unless you live in Mayberry and Andy is always out patroling your street, I wouldn't do it. I work too hard for my money to risk something getting stolen that easy.

Maybe if it is a totally sealed inclosure and you securely bolt it down to the frame but still, just like your CD player, people will try and I know I don't want thieve's grubby hands violating my property.

9. supersize75k5

yea but nobody got my cd player, and it is right there for all to see, the subs would be hidden in the floor, no silly plexy glass front, just covered with carpet, I think I could fab it to be like a 73-75 floor and just order carpet for those years, very stelth /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

theft is not a issue, it will be part of the truck /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

as you said, I also work hard for my things so if I want to enjoy them I should, why should I live my life in fear? My cd player has a detachable face, but I "shouldn't" have to worry about theft, but real life says other wise, so you build againt the thievs, if it is too hard they give up.

just wondering, but when was the last time you had your top off for a long time period, its a wonderful thing to enjoy our trucks and this is one of their great featurs,

I work to hard to have a truck and not enjoy it /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

just my take on it though, just like my neutral drops, if I can do it and it puts a smile on my face I will keep doing it, having spare tranny's only gives me more of a reason, and now that I have two blazers... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

immature..yes

ungodly fun...you bet your a$$ /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

have you ever got to exsperiance roasting a 38" swamper... they make a very uniqe sound /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

then again..just me and what makes me happy /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

p.s. sorry for the grammer /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. Greg72

Just a quick comment on "open air" bass.....

It will take a lot of power to make the bass believable with the top off. My original setup was pretty decent running topless down the highway, but I also optimized as much as I could (subs facing dash, ported boxes, etc). Next time around, I think I'll be going with something like two 12's (JL 12W6v2 or W7s) to get more surface area and longer stroke....with a more conventional speaker, I think FOUR subs would not be unreasonable.

You definitely want a bass control knob on the dash somewhere. Around town, or with the top ON the bass is rediculously overpowering. You'll want an easy way to make adjustments depending on the situation. I actually modified the "CHOKE" knob on my dash so that it looked stock, but did the bass control functions for my setup.....

More food for thought. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. supersize75k5

this morning I started thinking about 4 10's or maby 3, quicker tighter bass is what I like, in my first suv, a jeep grand cherekee,I had 4 12's it was nice but a little much and not as tight as I like, I guess wht I am looking for is just getting a louder set up, not so much for the bass, just want to hear it, I listing to classic rock the most /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. Greg72

Four 10's could be sweet....pair that up with two 6" midbasses in each door up front (or in Q-Pods) and get the tweeters in some decent location (not in dash or bouncing off windshield)....maybe a small set of rear coaxes for some "fill". A setup like that would be VERY satisfying and well balanced, and would have enough bass in reserve so that you could still "boost" it when the top was off.

Powerwise....maybe around 200W to each sub, 100W to each midbass, and 50W to each tweeter. Maybe 50W to the rear fill speakers too since they are a really "minor" part of the overall sound......or at least they should be.

If you want MORE power for the overall system, those are still probably the correct ratios for how to divvy up the power in the system.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    yea but nobody got my cd player, and it is right there for all to see, the subs would be hidden in the floor, no silly plexy glass front, just covered with carpet, I think I could fab it to be like a 73-75 floor and just order carpet for those years, very stelth /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

theft is not a issue, it will be part of the truck /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

as you said, I also work hard for my things so if I want to enjoy them I should, why should I live my life in fear? My cd player has a detachable face, but I "shouldn't" have to worry about theft, but real life says other wise, so you build againt the thievs, if it is too hard they give up.

just wondering, but when was the last time you had your top off for a long time period, its a wonderful thing to enjoy our trucks and this is one of their great featurs,

I work to hard to have a truck and not enjoy it /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

just my take on it though, just like my neutral drops, if I can do it and it puts a smile on my face I will keep doing it, having spare tranny's only gives me more of a reason, and now that I have two blazers... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

immature..yes

ungodly fun...you bet your a$$ /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

have you ever got to exsperiance roasting a 38" swamper... they make a very uniqe sound /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

then again..just me and what makes me happy /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

p.s. sorry for the grammer /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well obviously it's up to you. i have heard things about people just stealing the whole vehicle if they can't get what they wan't easy enough. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I agree that you should enjoy what you work for but I just meant that I don't wan't to risk my hardwork and enjoy my system much better with the top on because it sounds like crap with it off anyway.
    Yes, I have had my top off for an extended period of time and it is nice having it off on those decent spring days and it really is amazing how quiet it still is inside the cab without the top.(mines the half cab style) but I was always nervous whenever I wen't someplace and that makes it not worth it for me. Plus during the summer it gets friggin' hot out here with no top and I prefer to have it on with the A/C going full blast. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Like I mentioned and Greg72 and you are discussing...it won't hit near as well with the top off.

Do what you want to do! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. supersize75k5

you have A/C /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

welds.. then A/C ok that's strike 2 mister /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

get bustin and /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif your truck to get a ball/foul to keep you in the game /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

get bustin and /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif your truck to get a ball/foul to keep you in the game /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    You bet your ass I have A/C, cruise, soon to be power everything, tinted windows, etc. etc. I see it exactly the opposite, I'm wayyyy ahead of you! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Get some new strait uncut fenders, get rid of the ungodly black rims in favor of some aluminums, clean out that interior, leave one motor in for longer than a week, get that A/C system fired up again.... You'll get it eventually. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. supersize75k5

ahh the first thing I did was yank that crap out of the 75, more fender room, who needs a heater and wheelwells too,...ewwww blingage /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

if I wanted ac ect I would have bought the tacoma or s10 I was lookin at, but I figured they would be a forin world so a blazer was a must /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. supersize75k5

oh, and what good is ac when you never have the top on /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

at least in my case /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

18. rjfguitar

I can't blame you, I have $500 in my A/C, but admit it, you would be just a little jealous...You being in arizona and everything...If I pulled up next to you at a stop light on one of those famous 100+ degree days and you are sweating it out with the top off and the sun glaring down into the cab and look over and see me with my windows up, the tint blocking the rays, and a dry forehead on me with my A/C blowing. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. supersize75k5

I dunno I spent more than 500 redoing my ac just to never put it in, there were 110 degree days as well as a couple of 35 degree mornings that I drove the blazer, I still choose no top, no doors /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

the sound of a bb and headers is enough to distract me from the heat /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    the sound of a bb and headers is enough to distract me from the heat /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I guess, I just prefer to listen to the tunes with the A/C going and being sucluded inside from the outside elements and traffic. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif But hey our personal preferences are different which is cool. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif