Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

changing pinion and carrier bearings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Sep 11, 2001.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I think all I need in the rearend is new bearings, I drove it today and there was not much noise at all, just a little more friction than usual. I don't think the pinion bearing will be too hard, something to do with a crush sleeve that I need to pay attnetion to, right? What about the carrier bearings? Will I have to set the gears up again? thanks

90K5

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

You'll still need to reset the gears unfortunetly. The bearings are what basically the shims make up for. So really the only thing you get out of is paying for a R&P, so if you want a locker or new gears you might as well do it now and only pay/do the labor once.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Check backlash before you tear it apart and reset it back to the setting. Check wear on teeth also. They are hardened only to a certain depth for shock loading to prevent them from shearing. If there is a lot of wear on the teeth, put the cover back on and save up for a new R&amp;P. Pinion depth should be the same so save the shim under the bearing and set the new bearing on top of it (this is the one that is pressed on by the gear). The crush sleeve takes 7 men and a small boy to get it started and crushed. Once the the slack is taken up in the pinion play, take small turns on the wrench to get the 25 in lbs of torque for proper pinion bearing pre-load. If you over crush it, start over with a new sleeve. Good luck and the only way to learn this is by trial and error.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Souds like something I'm not going to do...I know a guy with a 12 bolt and 3.73's on his truck, and he is an idiot and owes me money...think I'm going to tell him he doesn't have to pay me if I can have the rear end out of his truck. He doesn't know anything aobut ratios, and never uses 4x4, so he'll be fine with a 3.42 10 bolt and a 3.73 front...he'll probably think the sounds coming from the rearend are from his SM465...haha...actually, I haven't heard any noise from the rearend in a few days...

90K5