Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing rear spring and shackle bushings - unbelievable

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Jun 18, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Jul 10, 2000
    I changed out my rear spring bushing and shackle bushings for the greasable ones.
    For anyone who is considering the same, let me tell you that I am glad it's done. But be prepared.
    Two of my bolts were rust-welded to the inner sleeves. I had to sawzall through them, and the bolts are grade 8. The rubber bushings were a major pain to remove. And the outer sleeve was the most time consuming until I started to use a 1 1/8" socket and a BFH to coax them out. And the worst outer sleeves are the two rear leaf spring ones because there's no room to get a sawzall in there. I used a jig saw and a hacksaw blade - that's a lesson in futility.
    All in all it took a day and a half, no joke. This is by far one of the most agrivating and frustating mods I have done. And that's changing out SIX bolts and bushings!
    At least I got to buy a new 60" hi-lift in the process.
    -- Mike
  2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Feb 24, 2000
    Ohhh yeah fun times....Kinda makes ya want to scream or go postal.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
  3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Yeah, the front is easier because you can pound the shackles apart and get those out with the sleeves and bolts still rusted together. The front spring eye is the same agony as the rears though. I used a grinder up through the poly bushing to cut about halfway through, then used a wrench to turn the bolt 90* and then cut the other half out. Hammering was only making me go through nuts and had no effect on seperating the bolts and sleeves since everything seems to have a spring effect.

All I can say is that if I ever go to take these expensive greaseable ones apart to change springs or whatever, THEY HAD BETTER COME OUT!