Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing Shiftpoints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jrsheets, Aug 7, 2004.

1. jrsheets

jrsheets Registered Member

OK, so i have a rochester 4b and a 700r4. I am having trouble with my shift points, upshift way tp soon. I hardyl even get to use the first gear. I was told there is a dent cable on the side of the carb that goes down to the tranny that will let me adjust this. Is that true.

They told me in order to reset, or change the shift points to hold the throttle on the carb half way and push the clips in the hold the cable in place. Once i do that the cable should readjust itself ans should be set back to normal.
    Is all this making sense, i wanna make sure before i start messing with it. I just got this info from a guy that says he hasn't worked on one in E-ONS

Thanks for the help!

2. jrsheets

Its an 85 K5 with 305 if that helps at all.
    Nobody has any clue? i know alot of you work on these things all the time.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

IIRC it needs to be adjusted at WOT.

4. jrsheets

what the crap, to many abbreviations. WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS??? Ive heard of them, but i need some details man

5. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

if I remember correctly (IIRC) it needs to be adjusted at wide open throttle (WOT)

Blake

6. jrsheets

ok so i got the rest of the procedure right, awesome. I think that depending on where i put the throttle, it will prob determine where the shift points are. Im going to play with it until i get it where i like. Thanks for the help guys, even though im retarded and don't know the abbreviations this forum uses yet /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

7. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

the cable you are talking about is the t.v cable and yes it will adjust the shift points only in normal driving conditions
    at wide open throttle the tranny shifts when the governer spring tells it to you can change the spring preassure to adjust that. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    what the crap, to many abbreviations. WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS??? Ive heard of them, but i need some details man

[/ QUOTE ] You don't know what IIRC and WOT is? WTF is wrong with you! BTW, just kidding. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sorry about that, I was thinking "I hope he knows those abrevs..." when I made the post. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

BTW=by the way /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. k-5 jimmy fan

k-5 jimmy fan Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are still having problems, check out link below at Bowtie Overdrives. This is the most complete instructions for setting the TV (throttle valve) cable for 700 R4 transmission I have found. It includes real world photographs with step by step simplified instructions which follows the GMC factory manual. It also demystifies much of the jargon so it can be understood in plain English by a novice.

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

12. jrsheets

I actually ran a search and found that site. It helped alot. Every other thing i found seemed to be for the th350 and 400.

If anyone wants to know how to do it, im going to explain it know

You will find the adjuster hooks by a wire to the carb throttle arm. Pull the wire out of the adjuster and unhook the clip that is attatched to the throttle arm. Now push the button on the module down and slide the thing best described as a man's you know what back into the mudule...Hook the clip back onto the throttle arm and force it to "WOT" hehe. You should hear a few clicks and notice the mudule has started to slide back out. Once you get to wide open throttle your good to go.

I really couldn't believe the difference it made in my shiftpoints. Since i just installed 4.10s i was surprised how my power was being crippled by the early downshifting. I was cutting into 2nd gear at about 5mph, it was gay. After the adjustment i could do a few things i couldn't before. Get the engine into high rpm in first gear and downshift!!!! one thing which would never happen no matter how much i hit the gas. Thanks for all the help guys!!

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

So your TV cable was set wrong for a while? Check out that tranny fluid and make sure it's not burnt. Once you have the cable set, don't mess with it. It is not there to adjust shift points, there is just one "correct" setting. There is another thread going around about this.

Also, I think you are saying "downshift" when you mean "upshift". Upshift means 1-2, 2-3 or 3-4. Downshift means 4-3, 3-2 or 2-1.

Glad it's working better for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jrsheets

right i understand. I do mean downshift though. You know when you hit the gas and you DOWNSHIFT to speed up. I couldn't do that before because the thing wasn't set right at all. I know there is only 1 correct setting, i tried a couple different adjustments. One made me rev up like a hotrod, the other was still to quick on the upshift, I'm sure i found the right adjustment because its right where it should be a WOT.

It was set wrong for a freaking long time. Ever since i got the thing. The tranny was rebuilt about 2.5 years ago, its probly been like that since them. It wasn't bad, but it was definitely hurting the performance and most likely the temperature on the tranny with the 3.08s I had at the time.