Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing Steering Column...any tips or not to do's from your experience?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Nov 3, 2002.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Changing Steering Column...any tips or not to do\'s from your experience?

ok, i am changing a steering column today..tilt for tilt, but i have never done before. Can someone fill me in on what should be done, as far as i can tell, there are 3 areas that need to be unscrewed/bolted. I am sure many of you have done this so tips are welcome,
    thanks

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Re: Changing Steering Column...any tips or not to do\'s from your experience?

Unbolt the steering shaft at the firewall.
    Remove the steering wheel (rent a puller if you don't have one. The hammer is not a substitute.)
    Remove the dash bezel and set it aside.
    There are two wiring harnesses connected to your column. Disconnect them. IF you have cruise control or some other things, there may be more but just check.
    There are two bolts that hold the column to the underdash assembly. Remove them.
    Now pivot the column down, and out towards you. I'd recomend you put your seat all the way back. The column is fairly long.
    The act of actually pulling it out and putting it back in can take a little muscle, but just be careful.
    -- Mike

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: Changing Steering Column...any tips or not to do\'s from your experience?

<font color="green"> You have to disconnect the column from the steering shaft under the hood too, and take off the support on the engine side of the firewall. it's a pretty easy swap, I did this a couple months ago. </font color>