Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing steering column?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Apr 14, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have acquired a steering column w/ tilt steer. What is involved in swapping the new one in? I doubt is as easy as I think. Thanks for any experience shared /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

It's as easy as you think

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not really that bad. While I was at it I replaced the wiring in mine. Have to remove the plate on the firewall, disconnect the collar on dash, unplug and remove. I pulled mine from a 2wd so had to replace the full shaft too. Only took me like a few hours to do it with simple tools. Well except the steering wheel, need a puller if you want to keep yours. Have fun and it is pretty easy

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

It's very easy. The hardest part will be removing the 4 nuts from the brake booster and the nuts for the clamp on the firewall (they're usually covered in undercoating from the factory and it's hard to get a socket on them) It's almost as easy as changing your oil /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Chuckle. The last time I pulled mine, it went like remove old one, put new one in, discover that nice shiny new one is two inches too short, put old one back in... and Doug, if you're reading this, no hard feelings. It *looked* right /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

(To Doug's credit, he did send me another one!)

Other than rusty bolts on the flexible coupler and having to turn yourself upside down to get under the dash -- full-convertible trucks having the benefit here as they're easier to stick your feet out the roof -- it's just a matter of unplugging and unbolting.

IIRC the neutral safety switch can be adjusted a bit in an arc around the column... for a while I had to push the wheel up with my left knee to get the Koala to start... but it is pretty easy.

-- A

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Sweet, sounds like I will have tilt this weekend. I will post how things went maybe I could take pic's also. Thanks for tyour replies /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif