Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing steering gear box shaft to 2wh

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1HIHUM, Nov 17, 2000.

1. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

I plan on switching to crossover steering soon, and was wondering how hard it is to change the steering shaft from 4wheel to a 2wheel. My box is only a couple of years old,so I don't want to get rid of it. And I don't want to spend more than I have to. Anybody ever try this? Thanks for any input!

[​IMG]

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Bite the bullet and go get a bone-yard 2WD box. Converting your box isn't the easiest thing in the world to do, actually a PITA! If you're not careful, it'll leak. Best ot just go getcha a $25 2WD box and be done with it!!! That's what I did on both my crossovers.

ken

3. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Any particular year I should look for? Will I need special power steering hoses, or will mine fit without problems? Just seems a damn waste cause my box is almost new(only has about 15,000 miles on it. and most important,no leaks. I'd hate to put on a worn out box, or one that leakes all over the place!

[​IMG]

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The only differences are the hose fittings. The style changed in "about" 1980 (don't quote me). Therefore if your truck is an '84, find an '80 or newer box. You can tell by looking at the fittings in the box. The newer style used O-rings and the older style used compression style. That is the only difference between 2 and 4x4, with the exception of the sector shaft.

ken

5. lukers

lukers Registered Member

What other items are needed to change over to cross-over steereing bside the 2wd box?
    Luke

6. wstolar

wstolar Registered Member

I have a question about 2wd boxes. Are the 1973-87 2wd boxes the same as 1987 and up 2wd ones? I was wondering if the new body style change also resulted in a ps box change.

Also, does anyone know when the 1973-1987 style trucks went to metric fittings on the 2wd ps box? I'm asking because my 1985 K30 has metric fittings so I need to find a metric style 2wd box.

Thanks
    Walter

7. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Lukers, go to the technical section found on the home page. There is a right up on how to do a crossover conversion. It lists all of the parts needed, and gives part #'s for most of them.Wstolar, I have no idea, let me know if you find out though, as I am starting to collect parts for this conversion. Thanks for the replies guys!

[​IMG]

8. lukers

lukers Registered Member

Thanks