Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MuddNutz, Feb 8, 2004.

1. MuddNutz

MuddNutz Registered Member

I have a 85 K5 with the stock thin steering wheel. Im looking to change it out with one that has a thicker grip, but not sure which one to get. I dont have any desire to put on those wrap on covers either, just replace the whole thing. I know there are after market ones like Grant, etc... But I have also heard of some people switching them out with newer model chevys. Anyone have any suggestions??

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe about '90/91 GM started using the 4 spoke ones with the centercap with the red "CHEVROLET" in it. Nice and thick, a bit smaller than our stock ones.

Nice design "ergonomically speaking", and looks good too. Thought I had a pic of it online, guess not.

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

i agree with chuck, er, dorian yeager.. the mid 90's 4 spokes ROCK. better than any aftermarket wheel IMO.. Check ebay they've got em all day..

mike

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

As much as I like the LOOK of newer Chevy wheels, I am much happier with four spoke Grant gt wheel. Smaller but not too small. Good size comfortable grip. I never liked how big and thin the factory original one was, and the newer Chevy style one from 89 to 91 never felt right. Just my experience and preference.

5. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

And its bolt on too!!
    [​IMG]