Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

changing stock wheel size?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jplagg, Jul 26, 2001.

1. jplagg

jplagg Registered Member

Is it ok to change the wheel size away from the stock size? Like going from 16x6.5 to 15x10? I need new tires and 15" rim size would give me more of a selection. Would that cause any problems with 4 wheel drive fitting or anything else?

thanks
    josh

EDIT: OK, sorry, well, its for a 87 GMC Truck - sorry, wrong forum, so thats why i kept it a generic question. ITs just you all are so helpful here! I will have to check with some tire places tomorrow, but just wanted to know if it could be done.

thanks
    again<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by jplagg on 07/26/01 09:24 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Depending on what you have, there shouldn't be any problem. Need to fill out your profile, so we know what we're working with here[​IMG]

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

No fitment problems if your running 1/2 ton gear. If you are running a D60 or a 3/4--- 1 ton front end you will need to grind the calipers. It realy doesnt matter what forum you posted this question in. Its sometimes easier to post in multiple forums for genereic questions about drivetrain and other shared parts between K5s, Subs, and Trucks.

4. jplagg

jplagg Registered Member

fr8train - cool, thanks

its a 3/4 ton. How big of a deal with that be (grinding calipers)? would a good brake shop be able to do that?

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

No prob there - Just needed to make sure we weren't dealing with something like trying to put 15"s on a Dana 70 or other oddballs. I've seen guys manage to put 15"s on K20s with no problem before - some rims have different internal diameters.

Generic Signature
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com&gt;pugsley.alloffroad.com&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Pugsley on 07/26/01 10:53 PM.</FONT></P>

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

It is not that big of a deal to grind them. I will be grinding the calipers on my Dana 60 to fit 15x10 with 4 1/8 backspacing this weekend and will post pics when I am finished.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

7. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I had to grind my Dana 44 and its not that big of a deal at all.
    There is alot of meat on those calipers to begin with.

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</a>

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Since it's a 3/4-ton you'll need to look at steel wheels. Most 15-inch aluminum wheels are too thick to fit over your front brakes, even with grinding. Seems that thatK30guy found some forged 15 inch aluminum wheels from Weld that will fit, but those babies cost around $240 each. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

9. jplagg

jplagg Registered Member

i was planning on steel wheels from US Wheel anyway, so that isnt a problem. So its really just the wheels fitting over the calipers that is the problem right? nothing else?

thanks
    josh

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nobody makes 15" 8 lug aluminum rims to my knowledge--I checked Weld's website before and never did find any.

I have the US Wheels. I have to get my rotors turned and convert my truck back to 8 lug up front so I can put mine on the front. I've got 6 lug front/8 lug back right now.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles